Need Help with Lincoln SP250 Welder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need some help with my "new to me" welder. I am having problems with my welder, its a Lincoln SP250 welder (ditigal version). I am getting a lot of sticking and "blast off" with weld porosity. The weld are are narrow and ropy, the gun are "kicking" back at me. I changed the liner, tip and nozzle. I am using .35 solid steel with 75/25 Argon/CO2. The welds are bad, really BAD!!!Now I am not a pro at welding, honestly I am a rookie. But I had a friend use it and he was getting pulse welding. I need your help if you know anything about this machine. I am trying to get started on my project and this is holding me back. The Pig wants to get out of the barn and get dirty, please help. Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Need some help with my "new to me" welder. I am having problems with my welder, its a Lincoln SP250 welder (ditigal version). I am getting a lot of sticking and "blast off" with weld porosity. The weld are are narrow and ropy, the gun are "kicking" back at me. I changed the liner, tip and nozzle. I am using .35 solid steel with 75/25 Argon/CO2. The welds are bad, really BAD!!!Now I am not a pro at welding, honestly I am a rookie. But I had a friend use it and he was getting pulse welding. I need your help if you know anything about this machine. I am trying to get started on my project and this is holding me back. The Pig wants to get out of the barn and get dirty, please help. Your help is GREATLY appreciated.

Make sure you have the polarity set correctly. Any chance the welder is set for flux core wire?

You need to make sure you have a good ground and clean metal. Also, wire speed sounds too fast for the voltage. You might need to increase the voltage so you're not stubbing.

Last edited:
X2 with what Charles says. He's barking up the right tree. Does the wire speed seem constant if you hold the gun out as a test?

FJ,

99% sure the polarity is correct, going to check it out again today. NO chance it's flux core, 100% solid wire. Good ground and clean metal. I will mess with the machine again. What speed do you recommend? I am going to weld a 2x4 in front of the pig as a crossmember so I am thinking it's probably either a 10g or 3/16 thickness.

Cirbo,

The machine has a slow start and then it converts into fast constant speed.

I think I am going to call Lincoln CS today and see if they can help.

Keep the ideas coming. I will conquer this machine with your help.

The machine has a slow start and then it converts into fast constant speed.

I think I am going to call Lincoln CS today and see if they can help.

Keep the ideas coming. I will conquer this machine with your help.

Probably a good chance this "slow start" is a feature to help with arc starts. The wire speed does not ramp up to full speed until an arc is established.

Miller calls this feature, "run-in." This is mainly an issue if you're using thick mig wire like 1/16"

Go here to get an idea (starting point) of the settings you should use:
http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/calculators/mig_solid_amperage_calculator.php

For 3/16" mild steel, .035 solid wire, C-25 gas, and short circuit, it recommends 18-19 volts and 320 to 340 IPM (inch per minute).

You can order the pocket references for mig, stick, and tig setting for $4.00 delivered from Miller. The also have nice Miller shirts and hats.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/tools/#calculators

Last edited:
FJ,

It's a Lincoln, not a Miller. At this point I wish I would have purchased that MM210 instead of the Lincoln. Damn it! Love the blue machines.

Called Lincoln and they gave a few ideas that I will try out today. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your help.

FJ,

It's a Lincoln, not a Miller. At this point I wish I would have purchased that MM210 instead of the Lincoln. Damn it! Love the blue machines.

Called Lincoln and they gave a few ideas that I will try out today. I hope this helps.

Thanks for your help.

Any status? The voltage and wire settings are pretty universal and should work for many different brands of welders.

There are many welders that do not include any settings on the door so you need this info as a starting point.

Both Lincoln and Miller makes nice welders. It comes down to personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom