Need help with leaking water 2B engine. Not water pump... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rockaway Beach, NY; but was 14yrs in Saskatoon, CA
1981 Landcruiser BJ-44 RHD from Japan to New Zealand to USA.

Now I am in Saskatoon SK, Canada.

There is a very fast drip from what appears to be the passenger side of the RHD car (meaning the drivers side of a USA car). This is the side opposite the alternator on the 2B engine.

The drip seems to come from the forward rather than the back of the engine.

I cannot see the area directly as the Diesel filter is in the way, as is a rail of some sort that is part of the Diesel fuel system. The leak seems behind the oil pump mechanism.

I do not see a leak coming from the head gasket. The truck has a blow by, but is otherwise fine. I don't have the money for a 3b engine yet.

What is on that side of the engine that contains radiator fluid and can leak?

Is it an area that warms the Diesel fuel prior to entry into the engine? Is it a gasket of some sort? Is it a freeze plug that somehow became loose?

I really need to get this sorted out.

(It is not the water pump. The pump does not seem to be wet. I just replaced its gaskets and if it was leaking the belt would get wet, and the belt is dry. There is no wetness near the pump at all.

All the rubber hoses are new and properly tightenned down. )

Last edited:
show some pics if you can

I'll take a look around mine when I get home from work and see if I can see where rad. fluid would be.

Can you take a pic of the area you are talking about? I have an 4/81 BJ44 and have been hunting a leak as well (I think mine is the radiator). If you can give me more info on where you are seeing the drip from, I'll look at mine and see.

K

US drivers side is the left side according to the FSM

The oil cooler can leak coolant but that is on the right hand side.
There is also an engine coolant drain cock just above the oil pan

Last edited:
Sorry about the late reply...the Sam Adams Summer Ale was flowing too nicely last night. I took a look on the passenger side tonight. I only saw 1 place where there would definitely be coolant and that would be the bigger hose under the diesel filter. But there was another hose that made me wonder. Without pics of your wet spots it may be hard to determine.
DSC02358.JPG
DSC02359.jpg

Sorry about the late reply...the Sam Adams Summer Ale was flowing too nicely last night. I took a look on the passenger side tonight. I only saw 1 place where there would definitely be coolant and that would be the bigger hose under the diesel filter. But there was another hose that made me wonder. Without pics of your wet spots it may be hard to determine.

This is a wild goose chase without some more details or pictures TOBASH.

On the left side, you can get coolant from:

• Water pump
  • Lower radiator hose - water pump junction
  • Little hose from water pump - heater line junction
  • Hose from heater valve - rear head fitting
  • Block drain stockcock near EDIC
  • Row of freeze plugs beneath exhaust manifold
  • Head gasket

You said:

I cannot see the area directly as the Diesel filter is in the way, as is a rail of some sort that is part of the Diesel fuel system. The leak seems behind the oil pump mechanism.

Perplexing, the oil pump is inside [and on the front of] the motor. If you mean that the leak is between the block and the timing case, then it must be dripping down from the water pump, as there is no coolant through the timing case.

If, by "oil pump", you meant "injector pump", then the only thing leakable back there is a freeze plug.

Not sure where leak is exactly, but it is from front, not rear of engine.

I see water coming from junction of engine block and front oil system (timing case?)

Freeze plugs I can see look dry. Head gasket/engine block junction looks fine. Leak must be lower down.

Pics will be useless as you see water at bottom of engine, but cannot see source midway up engine.

I guess I need an exploded view of the engine to understand where water flows and how I should be thinking about where the leak is coming from.

I guess I need an exploded view of the engine to understand where water flows and how I should be thinking about where the leak is coming from.

Have you tried the online B engine manual or Toyota DIY EPC?

pressurize the cooling system and l bet you can see where the leak is,could be the waterpump seal,there is a hole on the underside of the pump.
Simon
Winnipeg

Have you tried the online B engine manual or Toyota DIY EPC?

Here we go....... (But it is not much help compared to looking at the actual motor with a torch and inspection mirror in hand while having the coolant system pressurised.):

coolingcircuitB2B.JPG
coolingcircuitB2B.JPG

Here we go....... (But it is not much help compared to looking at the actual motor with a torch and inspection mirror in hand while having the coolant system pressurised.):

Is that thing drawn down by the oil pan supposed to be the heater core??

oil cooler I think

oil cooler I think

Tis the oil cooler Drew

Thats what I was afraid of, it means that diagram is conceptual rather than physical and might not be useful.

The oil cooler is on the right side of the engine, towards the back, and water reaches it through the block.

As drawn, however, the oil cooler appears to be on the left side, towards the front, with coolant supply via hoses? or through the timing cover. Which is not accurate.

Thats what I was afraid of, it means that diagram is conceptual rather than physical and might not be useful.

The oil cooler is on the right side of the engine, towards the back, and water reaches it through the block.

As drawn, however, the oil cooler appears to be on the left side, towards the front, with coolant supply via hoses? or through the timing cover. Which is not accurate.

Aww. It's not all that bad.

Yes the oil cooler is on the RH side (so it can't be responsible for Tobash's leak).

Your 3B does have a much better oil cooler (cast aluminium-alloy cover bolted to the block etc which can be opened up for servicing) but the older B/2B has a "sealed unit" oil cooler (no aluminium alloy) that is not made to be serviced. And the older style does indeed have external pipes/hoses to feed the coolant too. (Oil flow is via the block.)

And what you got depends on your "year of manufacture" I think rather than whether your engine is a B, 2B or 3B. Because I note from Rob4WD's photos that his 1983 B-engine has the same oil cooler as your 1982 3B Drew.

But I think Tobash's 1981 2B would have external coolant lines to/from the oil cooler same as mine (but I could be wrong - as always).

:cheers:

Aww. It's not all that bad.

Yes the oil cooler is on the RH side (so it can't be responsible for Tobash's leak).

Your 3B does have a much better oil cooler (cast aluminium-alloy cover bolted to the block etc which can be opened up for servicing) but the older B/2B has a "sealed unit" oil cooler (no aluminium alloy) that is not made to be serviced. And the older style does indeed have external pipes/hoses to feed the coolant too. (Oil flow is via the block.)

And what you got depends on your "year of manufacture" I think rather than whether your engine is a B, 2B or 3B. Because I note from Rob4WD's photos that his 1983 B-engine has the same oil cooler as your 1982 3B Drew.

But I think Tobash's 1981 2B would have external coolant lines to/from the oil cooler same as mine (but I could be wrong - as always).

:cheers:

A 1981 2B has the same style oil cooler as a 3B:

15722 GASKET, OIL COOLER
15725-56010 2B, 3B..BJ4* 1 $12.01
15791 CASE, OIL COOLER
15701-56020 2B..BJ4* 1
ToyoDIY.com

[Warning, Drew-and-Tom-part-number-trivia-detour!!] What is really bizarre, however, is that the EPC doesn't contain any info about the style you say you have. If you look at the "oil cooler" pages for an early (say, 1976) BJ40, and pull up "OIL COOLER", it shows you the oil cooler that I have, with a note saying 08/80 - 10/84. You're sure yours is stock Tom?

EDIT: nevermind, going back to 74 and I found it. Its listed as 02/74 to 07/80. My bad.[End trivia]

Last edited:
A 1981 2B has the same style oil cooler as a 3B:

ToyoDIY.com

[Warning, Drew-and-Tom-part-number-trivia-detour!!] What is really bizarre, however, is that the EPC doesn't contain any info about the style you say you have. If you look at the "oil cooler" pages for an early (say, 1976) BJ40, and pull up "OIL COOLER", it shows you the oil cooler that I have, with a note saying 08/80 - 10/84. You're sure yours is stock Tom?[End trivia]

OK. You're right. Tobash has the later style oil cooler.:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom