Need help with leaking water 2B engine. Not water pump... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TOBASH

My 2b was leaking from a weep hole at the bottom of the water pump, seal went bad. If you discover it is in fact the water pump, PM me or look up "2b water pump" in the diesel classified section if your's is the same, it's yours for a song.

TOBASH

My 2b was leaking from a weep hole at the bottom of the water pump, seal went bad. If you discover it is in fact the water pump, PM me or look up "2b water pump" in the diesel classified section if your's is the same, it's yours for a song.

Thanks DB.

It might be, but I am not convinced. I have removed the pump and opened it and replace the gaskets.

I guess the leak is small enough to me from a weep hole. Who knows?

The leak trickles down from the right side of the front of the engine, with anti-freeze leaking down from the gasket surface between the timing setup and block and leaking down the right side front of the engine block, leaking down to the oil pan in a stream.

DBUgly, as I have not yet found a 3b engine, I cannot give you my 2b. I thought I had one, and it did not come through. I am sorry.

Please PM me, and thanks.

I am assuming this leak only starts once the coolant reaches some pressure- therefore if left for a while the leak should dry up fully-

not much of a suggestion really, but,
what about spraying/puffing some visable powder such as talc (or just plain old fine dirt/dust) around all areas of concern, then either pressurise the system or run it for a little, and very carefully watch with the help of a small mirror or something until you can spot the flow of water? As soon as you see water, stop the engine or release the pressure and do your best to trace the trail up to its point of origin? Might take a few times until you can isolate it down but it could help?

Sounds frustrating. I hate trying to trace these sort of things when you can't access or see anything.
Good luck.

I am assuming this leak only starts once the coolant reaches some pressure- therefore if left for a while the leak should dry up fully-

not much of a suggestion really, but,
what about spraying/puffing some visable powder such as talc (or just plain old fine dirt/dust) around all areas of concern, then either pressurise the system or run it for a little, and very carefully watch with the help of a small mirror or something until you can spot the flow of water? As soon as you see water, stop the engine or release the pressure and do your best to trace the trail up to its point of origin? Might take a few times until you can isolate it down but it could help?

Sounds frustrating. I hate trying to trace these sort of things when you can't access or see anything.
Good luck.

Leaks starts quickly, then speeds up at temperature.

The suggestion is good BUT I cannot get into the areas under the water pump to get a good look-see.

All I know is the front right side of the engine has water coming down from a darned leak.

TOBASH

Here's some pictures of the area TOBASH:

Apart from the head gasket (and ignoring the possibility of cracks in the head or block) I've put some "red" to show where coolant is likely to leak from (in the area you suspect to be the source). -That's frost plugs, coolant hoses, T/stat gaskets, waterpump weep hole, waterpump gasket.

View attachment 324336

View attachment 324337

View attachment 324338

:cheers:

And I still think pressurising your coolant system would be the way to go if you really want to find the source of your leak.

But beware that leaks from your radiator may pool elsewhere (than directly underneath it) due to air flow etc. (My most annoying leaks have been from cracks in the top tank of my radiator caused by vibrations transmitted via the top radiator hose. And they were so "fine" they were impossible to see until they opened up under pressure.)

Last edited:
Your post is awesome!!!

I am tearing into the car Saturday. Your posts will be printed out and utilized extensively.

I don't know how to say thanks to the whole community, but I appreciate everyones help.

I am frustrated with my truck. :/

I had high expectations of Koss in New Zealand at Kolly Classic Cars. He lied about almost everything. The engine blows smoke, and now this.

I feel taken.

I was taken...

Anyone have a 3B engine and a 5 speed tranny for sale?

TOBASH

Here's some pictures of the area from the
epc TOBASH:

Apart from the head gasket (and ignoring the possibility of cracks in the head or block) I've put some "red" to show where coolant is likely to leak from (in the area you suspect to be the source). -That's frost plugs, coolant hoses, T/stat gaskets, waterpump weep hole, waterpump gasket.

View attachment 324336

View attachment 324337

View attachment 324338

:cheers:

And I still think pressurising your coolant system would be the way to go if you really want to find the source of your leak.

But beware that leaks from your radiator may pool elsewhere (than directly underneath it) due to air flow etc. (My most annoying leaks have been from cracks in the top tank of my radiator caused by vibrations transmitted via the top radiator hose. And they were so "fine" they were impossible to see until they opened up under pressure.)

I am frustrated with my truck. :/

I had high expectations of Koss in New Zealand at Kolly Classic Cars. He lied about almost everything. The engine blows smoke, and now this.

I feel taken.

I was taken...

Anyone have a 3B engine and a 5 speed tranny for sale?

TOBASH

Chin up Tobash mate, you'll get there:beer:
I'm sorry you got a little stung with your import, but I hope you do end up getting it where you want it in the end.
My purchase wasn't exactly sting free either- and I bought mine within my own country! because it was interstate for me, and I got it freighted down, I couldn't check the details myself- got sold as a 84' BJ42, ended up being a 82'- not the greatest difference- just a 4 instead of 5 speed tranny:crybaby:
Then the rear wheel bearings, one rear drum, rear axel and hub, then a total T-case rebuild, and one hell of a head or gasket scare. A little cancer to deal with in the back end (later), but other than that, I still love the beast.

The way these things are dissapearing from our country (and I can only imagine from NZ as well) you may well soon be looking back on this as a good buy, despite the issues.

Doesn't help now when you don't know what the fxxx is happening and what you have to fix next, but, I think you'll get there.
MUD has helped me beyond measure too. I don't know how I would do this without it.

how about ,find weep hole and plug it ?? Then run the engine and see what happens. I believe my experience tells me that when one takes a pump apart and uses old seals they almost always leak,however the seals sometimes seem to re seal /re seat after a while ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom