Need help with gas tank/sender gasket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought this truck last week. Pretty solid with a few quirks. One of them being a raw gas smell coming from the top of the tank.
No problem I thought, just needs a new gasket. I got the gasket from my local Toyota dealer and decided to dive in.

Lots of sealing goop on top. Then the self tapping sheet metal screws. Uh oh, not a good sign. I pulled the sender out and it has 10 holes in the flange, poorly sealed up with crap. The flange on the sender is thin aluminum and not very flat.

Ideas? New sender? New tank? Start a frame off restoration?
03C81178-0380-4225-93C1-E139D7D81FD8.jpeg
487FEA7D-4E81-4650-A0E4-9A51C67D2444.jpeg
6C40BF65-76D1-4621-9357-3F60EB313D77.jpeg
DBC98F34-3B93-4B84-82EA-404EB34179AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that a Toyota sender?

Mine looks like that. Is that bad?

Is that a Toyota sender?
I don’t think so. It doesn’t look like the ones I’ve seen online.

FYI this truck has a V8 and an aftermarket gauge cluster. The OEM parts say they may not work with aftermarket gauges. Maybe this was their solution?

On a brighter note, the gas tank looks nice and clean on the inside.

That explains the self-tapping screws and the sealing gunk. Musta needed that sender for the new gauge. Figure out a better mounting/sealing (shouldn't be hard) and an evap solution...

That explains the self-tapping screws and the sealing gunk. Musta needed that sender for the new gauge. Figure out a better mounting/sealing (shouldn't be hard) and an evap solution...
It did come with this octopus. Should I throw this back in the mix?
7F1E9159-FFBF-42A4-96B1-C83253971B60.jpeg

I have a new OEM style sender coming with the appropriate hardware. I’ll see if I can clean up the original holes with a tap.

If putting the emissions octopus back in will help with gas smell inside I’ll do it. I’m not sure which hose goes where or how to mount it.

I've run a sbc in my 40 for over 20yrs, without the "octopus" and all the ports are capped off accept for the main vent for the fill tube. I don't have a problem with fumes at all. Fyi

I've run a sbc in my 40 for over 20yrs, without the "octopus" and all the ports are capped off accept for the main vent for the fill tube. I don't have a problem with fumes at all. Fyi

Good to know, thanks.
I might run it without and see what happens. I also bought a new gas cap while I was at Toyota.

I have a new OEM style sender coming with the appropriate hardware. I’ll see if I can clean up the original holes with a tap.

If putting the emissions octopus back in will help with gas smell inside I’ll do it. I’m not sure which hose goes where or how to mount it.

The three-chamber plastic tank portion of your "octopus" mounts to a cover that normally rides over the top of your fill hose and return line. You're missing that. The three small capped lines from the top of the fuel tank go to the three on the vapor collector (three-chamber plastic tank). The single remaining line from the collector runs to a check valve and down to a hole through the floor along side the big fuel inlet pipe right about where someone left you a wad of some kind of paper. There should be a hard line coming up to connect it to. That hard line runs forward along the passenger side frame rail, up into the engine compartment, and into your charcoal canister. Ready to start that frame off now?

The three-chamber plastic tank portion of your "octopus" mounts to a cover that normally rides over the top of your fill hose and return line. You're missing that. The three small capped lines from the top of the fuel tank go to the three on the vapor collector (three-chamber plastic tank). The single remaining line from the collector runs to a check valve and down to a hole through the floor along side the big fuel inlet pipe right about where someone left you a wad of some kind of paper. There should be a hard line coming up to connect it to. That hard line runs forward along the passenger side frame rail, up into the engine compartment, and into your charcoal canister. Ready to start that frame off now?

Thanks for all that info. I’m pretty sure there’s no charcoal canister in my engine compartment. I’ll have to check when I get home.

How about that stainless vent hose!

Found this cover in the box of parts.
Q. Does it matter which hose goes where? I figure the one on top is vented to the canister (missing) but do the other 3 matter?
7FC4E1AE-D1A5-463E-997F-F0D7765D8C0C.jpeg
D635E54C-5FC2-4778-8338-5D1FC1C1DAF4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom