Need help with codes P0330, p0171, p0135. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, did a tune up in the 96 LC, new plugs, wires, dizzy cap n rotor, found a ground in the wrong place, I’ll post photos, and videoI was getting code P0330 before, so I cleared the codes, truck seemed to run fine for about 30 mins now I’m getting these 3 codes. Truck seems to be running ok, seems hesitant at first but then smooths out after 1st gear, took it off road seemed like it was gonna stall on some hills. Good thing it’s running and driving now, will fire up every time, idk if this is normal but sometimes I got to start it and get nothing (no crank) after a few second delay or turning it to off and back on it will fire right up. I’ll post photos n have a video of it running. Tomorrow I’m gonna try n clean the MAF, the 0330 is a knock sensor and an o2 sensor, I ordered the knock and o2 sensor, should be here in about a week, anything I should check in the meantime or rule out? TIA for the help, this forum has been tons of help! The ground I moved to the side of the intake, that’s where it looked like it went, if not lmk.

BE533BB8-0E11-4C89-AD81-632F63C75D85.jpeg

930877D4-204C-4B22-9F11-9894C8126C74.jpeg

31AB7B34-F04D-41C3-A21E-3CEAD30C6E58.jpeg

79F9789B-14CD-4151-9830-F7C7A6671796.png

8AA7A019-1E35-47BB-A19A-3E604D87A017.png

Update: went to autozone for the MAF cleaner, sprayed it a good 20-30 times sloshed it around, re-installed. Took for a drive. Looks like the idle cleaned up pretty good, now pretty steady. But still sputters when u mash on the gas, if u take off slow it will drive good, but if ur trying to make a quick turn before traffic it is SLOW! Cleared the codes, only one that came back was P0330, the other codes haven’t showed up again but only drove like 15 miles.

Some of the photos were taken a bit too close to see what's going on, but the ground from the ignition coil bracket normally goes to the engine lift hook (in a US spec FZJ80).

If a knock sensor isn't working you will lose some power as the ECM retards the timing to protect the engine. Is the connector to the sensor broken?? This often happens after a repair in the area when the connector on the sensor gets bumped and it snaps off.

(Why not use OEM spark plug wires, price?? OEM wires fit well and last forever.)

Last edited:
The ground to the ignition coil is grounded at the lower block, it’s a thin wire, I will attach photos, it looked like it was ground at a different spot. I ordered the knock sensor, the wire look good, but have heard reports of it getting damaged upon removal tho. Anyways still like 3 days out from getting the sensors, just looking for advice of other things to check, have read some forums where they got this code and it wasn’t the knock sensor.

Did you order an OEM sensor or aftermarket? O'Reillys used to sell a knock sensor at a very low price ($40) which was made in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom