Need help with Carb/Vacuum hoses. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had a 85 FJ60 for about a year now. I use it as a daily driver, but the back firing and dieseling needs to stop so I'm getting the carb rebuilt this weekend. I was reading about the desmog stuff, and I don't have most of those parts anyways, So I would like to know how to get it to run better and get the things that need to be hooked up fixed. Thanks in advance. P.S. If its not in the pic I don't have it. -Daniel
20141002_191244.jpg
20141002_191340.jpg
20141002_191344.jpg
20141002_191403.jpg

I think you need to research desmog here, lots of good detail posts on how to do it right. I see lots of locations on your carb that need to be connected right or sealed off. Too many to commit here from the pictures you posted, would need to be there and have closer look. Also the back-fire and dieseling might be your timing. When I did my rebuild I studied desmog posts many times before I started putting it back together and had JimC rebuild my dizzy for a desmoged engine. Print out the pictures from the posts and compare to your engine it will help. I believe JimC also has a good post on desmog which shows how to do the carb. My desmoged engine runs great and on standard unleaded gas GL :beer:

Maybe the best decision you could take at this point would be to either commit fully to doing a desmog correctly or commit fully to restoring the emissions to stock.

If you go the desmog route, contact Jim C. ( @FJ40Jim ) to get the necessary hardware...you will also have to send him out the dizzy to get recurved because you are eliminating the EGR system...he can also rebuild the carb...
Also, attached below is a .pdf for the desmog procedure.

If you stay smogged, then I can see two things that might immediately improve your engine performance.
1) you are missing a hose that goes between the two red arrows (and as a result, this is causing a massive vac leak...) and the VSV it connects to is missing a hose on one of it's other ports.
2) you are missing a hose that goes on the carb at the yellow arrow on the carb...so either add the hose or cap it.

Download the 2F Emissions Factory Service Manual (FSM) and check/replace all the hose routings:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fsms.743084/

Looks like you'll need an air filter assembly too.
There is a ring gasket that goes around the throat of the carb to make a good seal with the air filter assembly.
You don't even have an ASV/ABV assembly, so I would also assume you have an exhaust leak on the skinny pipe that connects into the exhaust down pipe.
The dizzy cap needs hoses to vent it correctly. I'd check under the cap to make sure that it's not all corroded.

Good luck.

LaziePyro_1_arrows.jpg

Attachments

• How to Desmog an FJ60-2 (1).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
I decided to go ahead with the desmog. I bought vacuum hose, I'm trying to connect the dots using other peoples pics that have done the desmog job. The EGR valve is that the one in red? What about what I've circled in blue and green? I'm using that PDF you gave it helps a lot, but it is a little more advance than I am.
edit 1.png

OK I've got the EGR valve Off. I'm keeping the cooler and caping both pipes. How should I do the rest of the vacuum lines since I don't have a original air intake assembly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom