need help with a 91 4runner 3l transmission problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hi to all. i own a 4runner 91 4x4 3l automatic and i'm having a problem with transmission.

i was having fun in the snow and i got stuck:whoops:. i revved it a couple of times foward and reverse, and all of a sudden reverse started to slip. i got it out of there i tryed back the reverse and it seemed to reverse fine, but 10 minutes after i have to rev it for it to reverse, but it still goes a1 foward. is my transmission dying??:frown:

thank you for your time.

Dan,

Sorry you're hear with such a problem right off the bat... I'm no auto expert, but it sounds like your reverse clutches are slipping, which would be a bad thing... Pull the dip stick and tell us what the fluid looks/smells like, and do some reading here:

Automatic Transmission

Welcome to Mud! :flipoff2: I have my fingers crossed for you! :cheers:

thanks that what i thought. i think i'm just going to swap it manual.

got a question on that.......... i know i need the pedals the clutch and all that but is the transfer case the same? or is there someone here that already did the swap from automatic to manual that could tell me if i have to do something special to it.
thanks guys.

You will need the 5speed trans and t-case, and possibly the drive shafts and cross member as well

To swap from the auto to a manual just go to the junkyard and pick up a manual with the T-case attached. It'd be easier.

It shouldn't be too hard of a swap. The hardest part would be gathering all the bits that are easy to overlook (like the gear shift lever boots, and clutch lines). But you know it all fits, and I'd put dollars to donuts that the stuff would all bolt right up for you.

Dan

I did this transmission swap last year and is pretty straight forward. I found a running v6 5spd 4runner for $500 and drove it home. Stripped it of everything I could possibly need, sold some other parts on ebay, then junked the hulk for $150. So I got everything, which i knew worked, for $100. Do not put $1 into that automatic (IMO). The biggest performance gain for the 3.0 is to go auto to manual. The auto is such a drag. I went one step further and installed an Advanced Adapter plate and a 4 cyl transfer case w/ 4.70 gears. Love it so far.

ok thanx guys. i didn't get all my parts to swap it manual so i put it back automatic for now. i got the tranny in today. everything is bolted and plugged i went to start it all the lights light up in the dash but nothing. it does like the batterie is dead. anybody have an idea what it could be? thanx guys.

Is there a click when you turn the key? I bet the neutral start switch is not hooked up, or not adjusted correctly... You can only start it in P or N, and the trans shifter tells a switch when you are in either of those... Go look for loose wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom