1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help - was on its side

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by COSkier, Feb 25, 2007.

1. COSkier

COSkier

Hey I could use some help, but it's with my wife's Ranger. I don't know who else to ask at the moment.
    She slid into the ditch this afternoon:whoops: , and the truck lay on its side for 2 hours before the tow truck came. When they pulled it out, it wouldn't turn over. So, I pulled the plugs on the driver side (the side it was on) and turned it over a couple times. Lots of oil came spurting out. Wiped the plugs off, put 'em back in, and it started right up, although with quite a bit of smoke out the tailpipe. The smoke went away after a few minutes.

It seems to be ok, but is there anything else I need to do or check?
    Thanks. D.

2. Dynosoar

Dynosoar Slightly Disturbed SILVER Star

You did the right thing. However, they should not have tried to start it after laying on its side without pulling the plugs first. The engine will want to go hydraulic and you could bend a rod or worse. Remember liquids don't compress. That being said if it is running now and you don't hear a rod knock you should be fine.

Dynosoar :zilla:

3. COSkier

COSkier

Whew. Thanks for the reply. Gotta go clean everything else up, get it to a body shop, and go skiing!

4. nicholastheczar

nicholastheczar

5. COSkier

COSkier

She's fine. Thanks. Shook up, but fine. I think the worst part was she got a ticket from state patrol. The wife said she was trying to avoid another car coming the other way going down the middle of the road. That guy did stop, helped her out of the car, and left before the trooper got there. But since the wife was the one in the ditch, she got the ticket.
    And I'm a cop too! So much for professional courtesy.

6. Cruisergreg

Cruisergreg

Since when do you get a ticket for an accident?

7. COSkier

COSkier

Here in Colorado, you go in the ditch, and if there's even a scratch, you get a ticket for "Improper Mountain Driving." $42 and 2 points. It's the points that suck.

8. theside00

theside00

So If I end up in the ditch broken down and there are scratches on my truck from wheeling and the normal use then I will get a ticket? Any way to make a dime off of other people misfortunes I guess. Glad to hear the wife is all right and the truck is running fine.

9. COSkier

COSkier

Alright. A scratch resulting from going in the ditch or other related accident. Geez.

Thanks for the help. Checked the other fluids: tranny fluid, coolant. I looked underneath for gear oil from the x-fer case and diffs, but couldn't see any. Looks ok, and it's running pretty good!

10. theside00

theside00

Haha I figured it seems like it is the perfect candidate for a big build dedicated trail rig now.