Need Help w/ Belt Tensioners/Idlers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the middle of a replacing my radiator :crybaby:, so I figured I try to fix this problem while everything's apart.

The problem:
I'm getting a high-pitch whine from the pwr steering tensioner. (If you watch the mudding videos in my signature link, you can hear it.)
I've checked Rock Auto, Advance, & AutoZone, but no one seems to sell them. (I've looked for tensioner and idler). I took the bearing out of the pulley, so I'll check some local bearing shops Monday for a replacement. The bearing is a NSK 6301DU2.

I want to change the bearing in the A/C tensioner as well, but I don't know how to get it out. It's not held in the same way as the PS tensioner, which was by a snap ring. I took some pics so you could see what I was talking about:
Front side:
100_1641.jpg

:hmm: Looking at the bearing, there are 4 notches with tabs that look like they could be bent in which would release the bearing. I don't want to do that, though, until I know for sure that's the correct way. I don't want to screw it up.:meh:
The markings on the bearing are different as well, but if I place the PS bearing on top of the A/C tensioner, it seems to fit.

Here's a pic of the back side:
100_1642.jpg

Any help from someone who has replaced these would be appreciated. I'd like to know where you found the bearings, if they're the same for A/C & PS, and how you got the A/C bearing out.

Thanks,
Rick

Yes, the AC and PS idlers are both 6301 on an FJ62. I got mine through a local industrial supply shop.

The trick to getting it out is to unstake the washer in the 4 places shown in your first picture. The pulley metal is soft, so a small chisel or screwdriver tapped with a small hammer will work. The bearing is a light press fit into the pulley so once it is unstaked, you can tap the bearing and the retaining washer out from the back by placing a small socket on the inner bearing race (shown in your second picture) and press or tap it out.

Picked up the bearings today from a local bearing shop and got them installed. What a difference! Nice and quiet now. For anyone that may have to do this in the future, the replacements I used are SKF bearings part #6301 2RSJEM. They were $24.15 each.

I also finished installing the new radiator, tranny cooler and freshly painted grill and headlight bezels. Can't wait to take it for a ride tomorrow.

:bounce: All problems fixed. Took it for a ride this morning on a route that it normally runs hot and no issues. Stays within operating range the entire time. It's quiet too. All I hear now is the roar of the tires, instead of the ear-spliting, nails on a chaulkboard sound.
Just need to get a trans temp guage now to see what temps it's running at with the new cooler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom