Need Help Urgent!!Anyone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I live in a town called Kelowna in BC Canada. We are having a major forest fire and 30,000 people so far have been evacuated. I am on evacuation alert along along with about 30,000 more. Here's where you help me, I locked my hubs this morning to pull a trailer out and now that we might have to leave I can't get them to unlock(spin out). We are planning to go to grandma's house but it is about 160miles. Is it alright to leave the hubs locked and drive that far(highway) or it there something that I can do to get them to unlock?

Eternal- Not how I like to spend my Friday night

I can't answer ya yes or no, but we will keep you and all others in our prayers. Those fires are devasting up there. Good look!

Eternal

YES - you can drive with the "Hubs" / "lockouts" in the locked / engaged position. Just make sure you keep the cruiser in 2WD.

You try to drive the crusier forward / reverse a few feet to loosen up the "binding", which is keeping the front hub locked. Could try shifting in / out of 4WD / 2WD to help alleviate the binding to release the front hubs.

Good luck with the fires & hope you, your family & friends get through these fires with little loss.

If you drive in 2WD, you will simply get a bit reduced mileage, and slight wear. All you're doing is connecting the front axle ends to the wheel/tire via the hubs, so you're spinning the diff - but no drive torque with it in 2WD as the front shaft is not engaged to the engine. If you engage 4WD on pavement where nothing can slip (vs gravel or dirt where it can), you could cause a lot of wear and possibly system damage.

In other words, provided your front axle and diff are all in good maintenance, you will be fine. Focus on driving safely in what will undoubtedly be a stressful situation. Check your fluids, air, etc while waiting the order so you'll relax a bit. And bring food/water/signal devices for the unforeseen.

Godspeed

IdahoDoug

Thanks. I can now see the blaze from my living room and we are on 1 hour evacuation notice. Got the bags packed and thanks for the info I think I will just leave it right now as things are a little crazy around here. Not a good time to start tinkering with the cruiser. Later all

Eternal

Eternal - I've been thinking abou you folks all day. I have a number of friends in that area as I live in Fort Langley BC. Been thinking that it's abou time for a rain dance as nothing else seems to work on these fires.

Hope you all can make it through with minimal lose. It's enough already.

If you need help this weekend let us know.

Riley

With a 50/50 t-case differences in wheel spin from front to rear create a tension on the hubs sometimes and the t-case as well. Aside from mechanical problems with the hubs or t-case forward and reverse maneuvering on loose dirt or gravel or even goosing it a bit should get it. In and out of 4wd might do it. Just don't force anything. May the Lord keep you all safe. It won't hurt anything to drive in 2wd with the hubs locked. If all is well lubed and in good shape wear is minimal.

Hi Eternal -

How are you? Probably hard to get to the internet with all that's gong on.

How did your house fair through the fire?

My family has been thinking about all you folks up there. Another fire is near my buddies place in Nakusp.

Hope all is well.

you should be fine with the hubs locked but if you are woried remove your front dtive shaft ;)

screw the hubs :-[, if the fires coming you may need the 4wd to pass everybody thats stuck in traffic :flipoff2:.
if fire gets that close to my house i wouldnt worry too much about the cruiser's 4wd just as long as it get me out of the way :-\, then try and add the damages on to your homeowners insurance claim -- hope you got coverage

good luck and haul a$$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom