Need help troubleshooting an electrical issue. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping someone could give me some direction. On my FJ62 there are times when I have the A/C fan on high it will turn off for no reason. I noticed both of my turn signal indicators will light up dimly when this happens and I'll hear a buzz coming from behind the gauge cluster.
I'll turn the fan off and the turn signal indicators will go out and I can then turn the fan back on.

At times I have to do this three or four times and then it's fine. I'm suspecting it might be something with a ground but I'm not sure where to look.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Victor

Sounds like high position is going out on your fan,esp. if its not doing it on the other settings of the fan. MIke

That buzz you here, have you looked for it in the dark? If a wire is worn you will see it flash in the night. You might just need to put electrical tape on it. MIke

buzz

i'm also trying to track down an electrical glitch with a buzzing noise like yours.

my headlights will go out when the heater/AC fan is on, both turn signals will light up, the higher the fan is turned up the brighter, and i get a high pitch buzz from under the fuse box.

i found that it was a relay that was making that noise, so i thought replacing it would fix the problem. that cost me 22 bucks and F napa auto parts by the way. the new one immediately showed the same problem.

i took the dash off to try to track down a ground fault or something, and found a junction box behind the instrument cluster that had burned and melted where a bunch of white/black stripe (ground?) wires came into it. the fan switch was wired right into the box immediately adjacent to the most burned area (the wire coming out of the burned terminal disappears behind the defroster duct in a factory bundle).

i was messing around with it with the engine running and the light switch on (lights not on / not working) and the heater fan on max. i accidentally bumped the junction box to some metal in the dash. a spark, and voila! lights and heater at the same time.

now, i don't know what that means, and i need to find out why it burned up in the first place. next step is to reconnect wires with a wire nut and test for heat (when the lights are on, the existing junction box gets really hot really fast). if it heats up, i'll take one wire out of the junction at a time and test again to narrow down what wire it is.

it sounds like you have a similar problem. any advice from anyone would be great!

When something unrelated lights up or gets power when you turn something on, it is often due to a "flotating" ground. In this case, it sounds like the A/C motor has a bad ground, but it is connected to the dash panel and is finding a ground through the turn signal bulbs. Try running a temporary ground from the frame to the motor case and see if the problem goes away. If so, either fix the original motor ground or install a permanent new ground.

Thought I would give you guys an update.
I cleaned the ground by the battery (the one that attaches to the body)
I haven't had an issue since.

Thanks for the help. It definitely got me going in the right direction.
-vic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom