NEED HELP: Stereo Install 96 LX450 w/ amp/cd changer removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my factory stereo in the 96 LX450 was horrible, tape deck and all (although it did have a disk changer in the console.) I decided I would add an aftermarket unit, and went with a lower end double DIN Pioneer. The stereo installed fine with an adapter, METRA 70-8112, it plugged into the white harness behind the dash, leaving the grey harness behind the dash unused.

The sound was mediocre at best due to the poor factory amp. It didn't take long to decide to remove the amp, and CD changer. I have found an aftermarket stereo and decent aftermarket speakers provide more than ample sound, probably better than factory with an amp. I disconnected the amp and was left with three wiring harness connections at the amp location, as well as the 2 behind the stereo. I also disconnected the CD changer and tucked it's wires away.

I immediately noticed after disconnecting the amp that the stereo (which had just worked) was no longer working. I surmised that the connections probably ran through the amp, and disconnecting it rendered the stereo inoperable. After consulting the MUD forums I saw people had to lengthen the harness and plug into the white connector at the amp, rather than the white connector at the stereo location. I also had to change harnesses as the METRA 70-8112 used RCA for the amp, the new harness, BEST BHA8110, had speaker wires rather than RCA. I got the BEST harness from a local stereo installer who was very helpful and threw in about 100 ft of wire for making the lengthened harness to the glove-box location.

I have plugged into both white connections, stereo location, and amp location behind the glove-box, and the stereo does not power on at all now. I have checked the fuse, and it is fine. Any idea what I need to do here? Do I plug into a grey connector, or am I using the wrong adapter? all connections are done properly, and I am stuck.

3 HARNESSES FROM AMP BEHIND GLOVEBOX
IMG_20141001_162714_zpsdc3b8154.jpg

2 HARNESSES FROM BEHIND FACTORY STEREO
IMG_20141001_162725_zps265b3d04.jpg

Last edited:
anyone?

This is the wiring harness I used. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009UHKW/?tag=ihco-20

I'm trying to remember back to the install, but I'm pretty sure you use neither of the plugs behind the head unit. To bypass everything, you've got to go all the way to the right of the glovebox, where you removed the factory amp.

I also remember cutting the factory harness somewhere to make my extension. These threads were a lot of help:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/definitive-scion-hu-into-lx-450-setup-thread.531547/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pioneer-2din-headunit-bt-usb-ipod-aux.223899/

The harness was a lot of work, but once I finished it everything went together really easy. If you do enough reading specific to the LX, you'll figure it out.

PM me if you're just plain stuck. I'm happy to go out to my truck and take pics/ note of what I did.

I left my factory amp and used the Crutchfield harness but I'm also running a Alpine 5 Channel amp...
Leaving the factory amp should not effect sound quality.. the Pioneer head unit should have enough power to drive the speakers
I did reposition it using heavy duty Velcro to clear the new dash speakers

p1010924-jpg.536349

So I made an extended harness, using Metra 70-1761. Everything works with the exception of the power antenna. Turns out the white connectors are bypassed all together, and I simply plug the harness(s) into the 2 grey connectors where the factory amp was. Like I said, everything is working except the power antenna, If anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate the help. Stereo sounds 10X better than stock unit with the amp, may have been a blown amp.

You must have another problem, maybe the power out wire from the stereo is not connected to the antenna? I was about to post a pic for the amp bypass since I recently had to do it but that doesnt sound like your problem anymore. I just connected the two correct wires on the two amp harnesses.

For the antenna, you'll want to tap into the amp remote wire on the head unit. The antenna just needs to know when the radio is on.

For the antenna, you'll want to tap into the amp remote wire on the head unit. The antenna just needs to know when the radio is on.

Amp remote wire from the new head unit or the wiring harness from the old unit?

Have you read through this? i think there is more to just making the harness where I used the amp trigger lead (blue in my case) to power the antenna and it just works like it did with the factory.
LX450 Stero wiring

I added a KENWOOD double din last weekend to my 1997 LX450 and decided to keep the factory amps. I used the standard harness retro fit you can get from amazon or Best Buy with the RCA plugs. This was a super easy swap just wiring the power and grounds and plugging up the RCAs into the stereo outputs. I did hook up the “blue” wire for the antenna and it works just like the factory, going up and down when turned on /off but still having the manual switch option working. The only part that was tricky was the blue white “dashed” wire. Wasn’t a white stripe but a dash which is used to switch on the amps. I left that off the first time not knowing what it was for and not listed on the harness instructions. Once I hooked that up everything worked perfect. Only last hitch was the RCA cables are not red and white. They are random colors so you have to be careful to use them in the RT / LF. FT/BK plugs so the fade and balance work correctly. I did read somewhere here that the 1997 seemed to be the only model this worked for perfectly so I can conform that if you want a shortcut. Oh, last item. I did get a bit of alternator noise so I added ground loop isolators which fixed that for $14. Overall easy to take apart and swap.

The reason I picked the KENWOOD was for the physical volume and camera buttons. I added a backup camera and didn’t want to hassle with hooking to the reverse wire. Easer to just hit the CAM button when I need it.

I added a KENWOOD double din last weekend to my 1997 LX450 and decided to keep the factory amps. I used the standard harness retro fit you can get from amazon or Best Buy with the RCA plugs. This was a super easy swap just wiring the power and grounds and plugging up the RCAs into the stereo outputs. I did hook up the “blue” wire for the antenna and it works just like the factory, going up and down when turned on /off but still having the manual switch option working. The only part that was tricky was the blue white “dashed” wire. Wasn’t a white stripe but a dash which is used to switch on the amps. I left that off the first time not knowing what it was for and not listed on the harness instructions. Once I hooked that up everything worked perfect. Only last hitch was the RCA cables are not red and white. They are random colors so you have to be careful to use them in the RT / LF. FT/BK plugs so the fade and balance work correctly. I did read somewhere here that the 1997 seemed to be the only model this worked for perfectly so I can conform that if you want a shortcut. Oh, last item. I did get a bit of alternator noise so I added ground loop isolators which fixed that for $14. Overall easy to take apart and swap.

The reason I picked the KENWOOD was for the physical volume and camera buttons. I added a backup camera and didn’t want to hassle with hooking to the reverse wire. Easer to just hit the CAM button when I need it.
Did you use the Metra 70-8112 harness? That is what crutchfield is recommending for my 97 LX450.

Yes. That’s it. Also available on Amazon for $8
Thanks. Today I ordered up an Alpine iLX-W650 with that same harness and a few other accessories...ready to get this audio up to date.

1600832614936.png

I have the same set up you're ordering minus the sat radio tuner. I love the system other than Android Auto has recently started giving me issues; random crashes or locking up the head unit. My missus uses Apple products and doesn't have any issues. I'd also recommend the e-brake bypass if you plan to use a backup camera.

I have the same set up you're ordering minus the sat radio tuner. I love the system other than Android Auto has recently started giving me issues; random crashes or locking up the head unit. My missus uses Apple products and doesn't have any issues. I'd also recommend the e-brake bypass if you plan to use a backup camera.
Are you running wires directly from the alpine amp to your speaks, or also running through the Factory amp. Looking at the wiring that came with the amp I don’t see am easy way to use the alpine amp unless I completely bypass the factory amp and running all new wires...not very appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom