Need help starter question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started the LX about 1 week ago and the starter did not shut off, engine was running but it didn't shut off. finially after about 30 seconds or so it did. Came on here and thanks to mud again relized the starter was going quick. Knowing this I loosened the positive terminal in case in did it again before I got the new starter in. Today same thing about 10 seconds before I could get the battery terminal disconnected. Now here is my delima I then reattched the positive terminal thinking that would have cleared the system. Now I dont have any power anywhere no power to turn on lights or anything. Im hoping I did not fry something. ANy sugestions.

Did you disconnect at the battery or the starter? You may blown a fuseable link which protects the computer. Some of the other guys may have some info about what happens if the battery is disconnected while the truck is running.

at the battery, positive terminal, I dont think the truck was running just the starter. Im not 100% sure on this

Happened to me and they all told me to disconnect the negative cable, not sure what happens when you disconnect the positive cable. having it loose may have caused some surges and shorted a fuse or fusible link as mentioned. See my thread below:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=151776

What fuse may have gone? When I try to put the pos battery cable on it kind of sizzles or sparks a bit, no lights on the inside, no head lights no nothing. Where is this fusable link that was mentioned? What can I check

What fuse may have gone? When I try to put the pos battery cable on it kind of sizzles or sparks a bit, no lights on the inside, no head lights no nothing. Where is this fusable link that was mentioned? What can I check

You have a short somewhere. Where is the sizzling? Have you got the old starter out of there? Any blown fuses? The only unprotected wire in a stock 80 is the starter main. It's a heavy gauge wire and runs directly from the battery to the starter.

I went back and read your post again-It sounds like the starter is still in the truck. If that's the case, your contacts are probably jammed/welded and draw all the power as soon as you hook up the battery. Do this-disconnect the negative connection at the battery, then pull the positive as well. Disconnect the main wire from the starter. If you want, insulate the end of the main lead and reattach the battery and see if it sizzles. My guess is, it won't. You are going to have to pull the starter right now anyway-just do it now while all the power is for sure off. Do not drive the truck, even a little. You risk burning it to the ground.

The fusible link is the small 3 wire cluster attached to the small black box and a gray connector very close to the positive battery terminal. You can normally tell by looking if they are blown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom