Need Help Removing Full Float Rear Axle Shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to pull the axle shafts on my BJ42 so I can yank out my 3rd for 5.29 and ARB installs. I was able to beat out the cone washers with a brass drift and a lot of whacking on the studs. I'm trying to remove the axle shaft, but the darn thing won't move.

The FSM says to tighten bolts (I'm assuming in the threaded holes), but it doesn't say what size bolt to use.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Yep jacking bolts is the way to go. Not sure about the size. Maybe 6mm X1.25. Very common size that Toyota uses al over the truck . I wouldn't be surprised if the bolts for the bumperettes are the right size. I just have a tool box full of nuts and bolts I collected out of old Land Cruisers and used a couple of these that fit.

I'm trying to pull the axle shafts on my BJ42 so I can yank out my 3rd for 5.29 and ARB installs. I was able to beat out the cone washers with a brass drift and a lot of whacking on the studs. I'm trying to remove the axle shaft, but the darn thing won't move.

The FSM says to tighten bolts (I'm assuming in the threaded holes), but it doesn't say what size bolt to use.

Any ideas?

8 x 1.25 bolt will pop the axle flange right off the wheel bearing hub. Find a quality bolt; at least something 8.8 grade. I would use a 10.9 if you can find it.

No need for any other method.

Yep jacking bolts is the way to go. Not sure about the size. Maybe 6mm X1.25. Very common size that Toyota uses al over the truck . I wouldn't be surprised if the bolts for the bumperettes are the right size. I just have a tool box full of nuts and bolts I collected out of old Land Cruisers and used a couple of these that fit.

Worked like a charm. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom