NEED HELP!!! quick! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just pulled the motor out of the cruiser and I cant get the flywheel off or the bell housing. what do I have to take off frist? the flywheel? or the bell housing? I had to rent a engine host to pull the motor and I have to have it back by 5:00pm tomorrow. And I want to put the engine on the stand. I have the clutch off and now I just cant get the flywheel off.

Last edited:
If you are using the standard sub 100 dollar engine stand, I'd just put it down on the pan now, because that is where it will be going anyway if you try to hang the thing off the typical Summit racing engine stand. Assuming your working with the stock motor.

Well the book shows the bellhousing going on before the fly wheel, so I would guess the fly wheel comes off before the bellhousing for the 2f.

So drop the flywheel before pulling bellhousing.

I have never done this on the Land cruiser , but it will help if you have impact gun or if not some way to secure the crank from turning while loosening the flywheel bolts. May be a two-person operation if you do not have a flywheel stop device.

On the Chevy small block I wedge something in the teeth of the flywheel, and then use the poor mans impact gun (bfh on breaker bar w/sacrifical socket).

You can most likely just have some one apply pressure to the belts going down to the crank at the front of the motor, should keep it from turning enough to break loose the torque on the flywheel bolts...a bit less risky to your flywheel teeth.

Last edited:
i just took mine off last night, it goes clutch, fly wheel then bell housing. it might be froze on or something but try sticking one hand up in the housing and grabing the flywheel and on bottom then wiggling it out, or a pry bar but but EASY

The bellhousing bolts are behind the flywheel, so the flywheel has to come off first. You might need to use an impact to get them off if the motor is hanging from an engine hoist. If you use a regular $40 engine stand, make a brace from a piece of wood or something to go from the front pulley to the front bottom leg of the stand. Or else it will certainly all wind up on the floor like already mentioned.

so I have to get the six bolts off of the flywheel? I tried last night and they will not go. I tried using a hamer and a 1/2" rachet.

thanks for the help. I had my dad help me, he has a big breaker bar and the bolts came right off. and I see what you guys mean about the engine stand. I got mine for a 1$ off of ebay plus like 39.00 for shipping. the engine doesnt stick that far past the front of of the stand, but I still dont think that it will be all fight by its self. what sucked is I had to go and buy some bolts to hold the engine to the stand, 4 of them 10.00$ and that was at the cheaper of the 2 stores that I went to. Thangs for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom