Need help putting Humpty Dumpty back together again - Denver/Boulder area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - after having our fourth kiddo and work taking way too much of my time, I've realized that I need to find some help to get the engine bay in my '84 back together again. Basically, I have all new or rebuilt stuff (stock motor), and need someone who's super familiar with our rigs to...

- install (and correctly route) all the smog stuff. I've got the hoses and all the stuff laid out in the back of the Cruiser ready for assembly. No idea how it cam apart as it's been 2 years.
- install the radiator & hoses (has new water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, fan, etc on it)
- install the carb/intake

Basically...get the Cruiser going again!

Let me know if any of you out there might want to get paid to do this work, or have recommendations!

Thanks so much, (and here's my rig, below!)
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at MondayMay 24950AM 1.jpg

I could be wrong but I *think* I sold this truck to you back in ~2016ish? Maybe I’m wrong but it was an ‘84 and same color. I was down in West Wash Park. Is this the same truck?

I could be wrong but I *think* I sold this truck to you back in ~2016ish? Maybe I’m wrong but it was an ‘84 and same color. I was down in West Wash Park. Is this the same truck?
Totally possible it's the same rig! Just over 200K on the odometer, originally a Wyoming truck? I bought it about 2 years ago from a guy in Louisville who was told (incorrectly) it had a dead cylinder and wasn't worth putting the $ into. I drove it for several months and then took things apart to address it not passing SMOG (and next thing I know I was basically redoing every functional system under the hood!).

Anyhow - you interested in working on it any further by chance??

Totally possible it's the same rig! Just over 200K on the odometer, originally a Wyoming truck? I bought it about 2 years ago from a guy in Louisville who was told (incorrectly) it had a dead cylinder and wasn't worth putting the $ into. I drove it for several months and then took things apart to address it not passing SMOG (and next thing I know I was basically redoing every functional system under the hood!).

Anyhow - you interested in working on it any further by chance??
Doesn't sound like it was mine. No biggie.

Uhhhh, I don't know if I'd say I'm personally all that interested in doing the work. I need to do some work on mine first. I know a good shop that can put it back together for you, however. Give these guys a call. If I can get all my s*** done, I'd be happy to come let you use my fully smogged truck as a guide for getting yours put back together, though.

Doesn't sound like it was mine. No biggie.

Uhhhh, I don't know if I'd say I'm personally all that interested in doing the work. I need to do some work on mine first. I know a good shop that can put it back together for you, however. Give these guys a call. If I can get all my s*** done, I'd be happy to come let you use my fully smogged truck as a guide for getting yours put back together, though.
Totally understand that! Thanks for the rec as well. I'll give them a shout. Seems like everyone these days is crazy busy - finding it hard to find anyone to a) take on something like a re-assembly job and b) do it before the year 2027 (hah).

If anyone else out there in the Denver area feels confident enough to do a quality job and to make a weekend project of this (and make ~$1,500+ for the work), give a shout! Thanks!

Your best bet sans finding a local guide, is to get a $20/year silver star subscription so you can post unlimited pictures and have unlimited PMs, then post pix and ask any question you need help on (with pictures) for fast and accurate answers! Then do the reassembly on your schedule. The pride in knowing how it all works and goes back together is well worth the extra effort and you'll be surprised how well LCs of this vintage are meant to be worked on (except, maybe, the fook$!!ing smog crap)...

(except, maybe, the fook$!!ing smog crap)...

You forgot the evil cooling system on FJ60/2s. But, putting it back together would be easy compared to doing a belt swap with the radiator in place.

Great news over here! After nearly 4 solid days working on the Cruiser, last Friday I was able to hear the engine roar to life for the first time in almost two years! Huzzah! So excited to finally get it running again (not to mention get it out of the driveway!).
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at WednesdayJune 30239PM.jpg

I have a couple of things that I've completely forgotten where they go/what they were for. I've googled like crazy, but at a loss. Could anyone help identifying these (below) and where they go? Perhaps part of the air intake?

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at WednesdayJune 30240PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at WednesdayJune 30240PM 1.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at WednesdayJune 30240PM 2.jpg

Your last picture could ‘possibly‘ the rubber gasket thingy for the clutch inspection cover.

Yes! That's totally it! Thank you, John!

Anyone else out there recognize the other piece? It's like an inch wide, and could have been on the manifolds, intake, or...goodness knows where. Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at WednesdayJune 30240PM 1.jpg

Just wanted to bump this - anyone out there recognize this piece? Can't find it anywhere online or in diagrams. Some sort of small filter? Where does this go?? Thanks in advance...drove the Cruiser slowly down the street to the gas station and back yesterday....ohhhh boy it felt good!!

I’ve gone pretty deep into my 60, but I don’t remember seeing anything even remotely like that piece.🙉

Thanks for that, John. Appreciate it. Unless anyone else recognizes it, I'm going to run without. On to the next thing!

Just wanted to follow up on this. That piece goes in the air cleaner assembly! The VCV on the passenger side connected to the nipple that feeds it.
Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at FridayJuly 23807PM.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom