Need Help- please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after posting earlier about my vacuum routing, which ended up being correct, I have an issue I can't locate :crybaby: . I have very low power under around 1100 RPMs (no tach). When I try to take off at any lower RPMs the engine dies. Though when I am running down the road I have tons of power and can even do 70 mph just fine. Of course, in 4whl low it drives great off idle.

Specs:
10 degrees advanced (on the bb)

Carb fuel mixture adjusted to highest vacuum at gauge (16 in/mg with a 1in. fluctuation)

Mods that may cause problem:
Downey Torquer Camshaft
Holley 350
Port/Polished Head
Tri-Y headers
All Smog comp. removed
Fully Rebuilt Engine, Trans, T/C w/ all new bearings, seals, clutch assy., wiring harness, blah, blah,blah.
Crane Ignition Module
PS conversion
Crane Oil-Filled HO Coil
38.5x15 Swamper Boggers

Basically I have rebuilt everything on the cruiser. I am wondering whether the tires are too big for factory gearing (4.11:1) and power of the engine? even though I have all these power increasing mods?

or-

Any other comments.

Thanks for your help everyone :cheers: .

ps- I also thought it may be a locking up wheel (rear is fully locked, front aussie, 4whl disc brakes) causing a tough to move vehicle but I can push it just fine.

Oh, and thanks again :) .

Sounds like the tires are a bit too big for the motor..

Do you think so? I am unsure... or I guess, disapointed. I thought for sure that the motor wouldn't have trouble with them after the improvements. hmm...

Ditto on the gears...improvements on a 2F....is still a 2F.

I have 3.70's and 33's on mine and I can't just let out the clutch and go unless it's in low range. It's just geared too high. Obviously if I give it a little gas and ride the clutch a bit it's fine. If you want a lower 1st gear without changing the ring and pinion gears you could use a sm420 or 465 tranny. I know mine would be useless for any kind of slow speed crawling the way it is, yours probably is too.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll find myself covered in gear oil in the following months while I'm replacing gears. Thanks again for the responses.

TM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom