Need help on my rear end...lol (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK now that you have come to see if I'm gay ..I'm not
Was checking the rear end before I get into it for bearing change and noticed it has about 1/16 end play on both sides..is that too much? And if so what could cause it? If I need parts replaced would like to get them before I crack open the pumkin. Tks

Not sure where you're seeing the play? Is it the pinion on the front of the third, or the axle bearings on each side?

If you are refering to lateral axle shaft movement, that is normal for a semi-floater. If you are talking about pinion movement, that is not normal and should be addressed immediately.

Yep, you need to be clearer on where the play is. If it's the pinion moving left/right/up/down, then you've lost pinion bearing preload and it needs a new crush sleeve or a solid spacer installed. If the axle shafts are moving inward/outward that much, then there's no worries.

OK thanks..it's the axles..I can move them in and out all else seems tight. It just seemed strange that they would move that much.

the c clips thicknes sets lateral movement. that sounds about right. i wouldnt want it too loose

Last edited:
When I installed my Lockright I was surprised how much play there is in the axle shafts.

Also kind of a scary though that a washer about 3/16" thick holds on your axle :D

Sounds normal!

And not even a whole washer just part of one! There is a reason I run a full float....

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom