Need help on my 1973 parking brake leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I rebuilt my parking brake and I am getting a leak on the outside of the drum. I removed the drum and everything is dry on the inside. The backing plate seems to be slightly bent and would not allow the drum to seat all the way down to the proper place. I put a clamp on it and now it seats. I took the big nut off of the spline and see to shims there. The oil is leaking past the spline. The shims don't cover the spline openings. I have some pictures here. Any thoughts?
Lee

20220224_121254.jpg

20220224_121147.jpg

20220224_121058.jpg

^ This. I usually ad some red RTV on the splines before putting it back.

There's always a little movement between the splines. I prefer non hardening permatex in this application. Be sure to clean/degrease the splines. I think your current glue doesn't like the constant movement.

There's always a little movement between the splines. I prefer non hardening permatex in this application. Be sure to clean/degrease the splines. I think your current glue doesn't like the constant movement.
What would you suggest?
Lee

I believe it's permatex #2 forma gasket non hardening. It's on the label. It can be found at most ap stores

So, I put the drum on and put the sealant on right before I put the shims on?
You put it on the splines of the shaft, slide on the drum, add a little under the thick washer, put the nut on and tighten to specs.

Both of my shims are the same. Should they be different?
Ler
Typically there's a shim and a thick washer. As long as you can get it torqued properly and the cotter pin inserted, it is probably ok.

Typically there's a shim and a thick washer. As long as you can get it torqued properly and the cotter pin inserted, it is probably ok.

I assume the flat washer would go on first, then the shim? Do you know the torque spec for that castle nut?

You may want to look at the dual seal speedometer housing from Valley Hybrids (@orangefj45 ) . Solves this common leak issue. I just did this swap on my 65 FJ40. I need to tweak my backing plate as well. :p
23EBFA77-8000-488E-B761-C9DEEF70E9D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom