Need help on a 5.3 Vortec fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does the NV4500 mate directly with the 5.3?

I know you need an adapter to mate the NV4500 with the toyota transfer case.\

I'm sure you will have to fabricate the linkage on the transfer case because the lenght of your drivetrain is likely to change enough so that the stock linkage will not work, or I should say I would assume that is likely an issue.

Most of the 5.3 swaps I've read about run the GM 4L60E auto trans..... One I know of runs the toyota 5 speed as I recall.

I have got the toyota 5 speed.

When I ditched the electric fan in my FJ80, that I put a 5.3 in, I just went done to the parts store and got Hayden heavy duty clutch and a fan blade. The engine ran 6 degrees cooler with the manual setup.

Transfer case linkage update

I got off the phone with the guys at advance abapters .........and I'm pretty much on my own coming up with a bracket that will keep the txfer case linkage. What have the guys that have completed the NV4500 to stock txfer case linkage come up with ??? Thanks

I think it all depends on where you come out relative to your install. Do you want to use the stock location in the floorboard for shifter, do you want to use a dual TC shifter or stock TC shifter.... Sorry I can't offer any details on the 4500 setup. Why I think the 4500 is a good transmission I've not seen to many in the 60's, I did seriously contemplate going that route, but for a couple of reasons I chose not to.

Anything I do in the future will only have one adapter or less in the drive train and that will be potentially between the transmission and transfer case... I will not use the marks's adapter route again.

Bumping this thread....

Finally starting my 5.3 conversion and have the same situation as the original poster. My donor motor is from a 2005 Chevy Silverado that was originally equipped with electric fans. I want to change to clutch/mechanical. Can one indeed just attach the appropriate sized clutch fan to the threaded end on the water pump without any further modification?

Here's a pic of what I got:
IMG_0126.JPG

I'm fairly confident the answer is yes...the water pump pulley you show has the threaded end...you just need a fan clutch and fan of say...a similar year model GM pickup or suv...both of which most likely you can buy from the rock auto web site. Just walk back in year models on the gm 1/2 trucks/suv until you see the fan clutch listed and fan...bingo..!

on the pulley you have....you probably need to make sure the threads are not damaged from rust...

fan attaches to the fan clutch...fan clutch bolts to the large single boss on the water pump pulley.

Last edited:
see post 15... while the pics show a 5.7 setup...a 5.3 setup is very similar. large "single nut" fan clutch and multi-blade fan blade (GM)

Yes you can... I'm not 100% sure for all, but the thread might be a reverse one.......

These are the part #'s I used
Fan Clutch 20913877 GM Blade #15017911

Careful with part numbers on the clutch...there are many different styles to my knowledge. Hd. Severe, others. Not sure of the technical differences if any... probably engage differently etc.

Careful with part numbers on the clutch...there are many different styles to my knowledge. Hd. Severe, others.

This is true... the part number I posted showed to be a stock oem with AC..

Yes, get a shroud kit. The fan blades need to be half way in the shroud. You will also need to get the computer set to mechanical fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom