Need help on 2014 LX570 changing to 17" without modding lift . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this one with 72k on the clock after some drunk Tboned my Grey LX570 2 years ago.
I have stock 20" wheels with K O2's now but want to change to 17"s without changing the Bumpers or wheel wells still running the std AHC . I found some TRD/AGP 18 " black wheels not sure if they will work with WildPeak 285 60 R18s . I don't know if the sidewalls will be as protective as 17's . I scanned the wheel and tire guide on the forum but still a bit confused which way to go . Also looked at the Ikon Six Speed Titanium wheels but have a 25mm off set .
Please advise a New Guy Denver Colorado

I'll save you the trouble as I just went through this situation....

Just go with a 17x8.5" or 17x9" +25ish with 285/70/17 and call it a day. Will require some minimal plastic modification (just mud flaps, not wheel wells) up front to not rub - very easy and will take less than an hour. No other mods needed. No need to re-gear, do anything with the AHC, bumpers, wheel wells, etc.

If you get 18's, get a similar tire height (overall diameter) and your results will be identical. 285/60/18 is actually a 1.25" shorter tire than a 285/70/17 by the way.

I'll save you the trouble as I just went through this situation....

Just go with a 17x8.5" or 17x9" +25ish with 285/70/17 and call it a day. Will require some minimal plastic modification (just mud flaps, not wheel wells) up front to not rub - very easy and will take less than an hour. No other mods needed. No need to re-gear, do anything with the AHC, bumpers, wheel wells, etc.

If you get 18's, get a similar tire height (overall diameter) and your results will be identical. 285/60/18 is actually a 1.25" shorter tire than a 285/70/17 by the way.
Thanks ! Any pics of your rig ?

Nothing terrific as I haven't done a proper shoot but here it is to give you an idea. Indoor pics are AHC Normal. Outside pic is AHC High.

If you look closely the indoor pics I have the front mudflaps on. That is mostly what rubs. I took them off before the outdoor pic but have put them back on after slicing off the parts that were rubbing. It will become extremely obvious when you put on your new wheels tires/take a look. There's also a small plastic piece held on by two screws in front of the front wheels that will probably need to go. Easy stuff.

ICON Rebound Bronze - 17x8.5 +25
Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain - 285/70/17

IMG_0666.jpeg

IMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

Nothing terrific as I haven't done a proper shoot but here it is to give you an idea. Indoor pics are AHC Normal. Outside pic is AHC High.

If you look closely the indoor pics I have the front mudflaps on. That is mostly what rubs. I took them off before the outdoor pic but have put them back on after slicing off the parts that were rubbing. It will become extremely obvious when you put on your new wheels tires/take a look. There's also a small plastic piece held on by two screws in front of the front wheels that will probably need to go. Easy stuff.

ICON Rebound Bronze - 17x8.5 +25
Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain - 285/70/17

View attachment 3150982
View attachment 3150983
View attachment 3150984
Very Nice !! Thanks for the pics it helps a lot especially the side shot showing the tires don't sit outside the wheel well . The bronze might be good on my Starfire pearl exterior color 2

Very Nice !! Thanks for the pics it helps a lot especially the side shot showing the tires don't sit outside the wheel well . The bronze might be good on my Starfire pearl exterior color 2

I've done research ad nauseum to figure out what is the way to go without cutting things or thinking about needing to re-gear. 33" tires are basically the sweet spot if you want to keep everything stock. Same width or even a bit skinnier is ideal. This will give a decent balance of more tire, more wheel options, and not obliterating your gas mileage.

As for wheels, you'll find most with aftermarket options in the +25 offset range (8.5" - 9" wide) since Tundras share the same bolt pattern. This is also the sweet spot for good balance of not looking "sunken" in while not hitting your fenders under compression. Any OEM wheel will fit (Rock Warriors/TRD/etc) but you may feel the need to put on spacers as they don't have an "aggressive" look. While most don't strive to have the brodozer look of most modded Tundras, the OEM wheels can look a bit conservative if not paired with >33" tires/more mods/etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom