Need help measuring for Hydro assist steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lat night, for the second time, I measured the movement of my tie rod arm, as instructed, to determine how much movement I needed for the hydro assist piston. Here is the problem. The reason last night was the second time, is because my measurements the first time didn't make any sense to anyone. So I have pictures of the measurements last night and wanted to get some thoughts and advice.

The vehicle is a 1976 FJ40. It has disc brakes, it is a SOA and I am using the high steer. (pictures show this). What I got when I measured the side to side movement of my tie rod arm was 4.25 inches. This was without steer stops or any limitations so I am thinking more like 4 inches once I compensate a bit for not going extreme to extreme.

Everyone tells me that I should be getting more like 6 to 7 inches. But I have now done it several times, several different ways and I am relatively confident that I did it right. But perhaps I messed it up some how, or I have the tie rod arm in the wrong holes or something, with me, anything is possible.

I am no engineer but with the high steer it does look like the location of the tie rod arm is closer to the pivot point than some other pitman arms. Wouldn't the closer you get to the pivot point, the shorter the side to side movement be??

Anyway, here is what I did.

First, I created a stationary point on my axle housing with a square and marked the point on my tie rod arm. Not conventional maybe, but I am desperate.

Next I turned the tires all the way to one side and put a reference mark on the tie rod.

I then turned the tires to the opposite extreme and made another reference mark on the tie rod.
P1000724.jpg
P1000725.jpg
P1000726.jpg

Tried one more thing

I tried it another way. Next I had the tires turned to one extreme and measured from the middle of the joint at the end of the tie rod to a fixed point on the springs, then I turned extreme to the other side and measured again.

4.25 inches.
P1000731.jpg
P1000732.jpg

So...?

Can someone help me out? Did I do it right? What am I missing here?

Has anyone else achieved similar results?

Thanks!

You did it the same way I did. The difference is in the high steer arms, measure the steering arm from the knuckle to the tie rod end on center and see what the length is. I'll measure mine and report back.

I think your right, looks like the arms are shorter making the throw less.

I measured the ones on my 40 (Fj60 knuckles and arms) and they were about 7" from the brake line to the center of the tie rod hole. The ram I have is 6.75" with no steering stops.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom