Need help making sure I get the right parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to do some front end work on my 1999 100 Series LC. I am in the category of knowing enough to be dangerous, but I have a mechanic buddy who will help with the actual wrenching. I know many of these questions have been asked before, but a lot of the post are older, so I want to make sure I am getting the most current info possible.

Long story short as possible, we were driving home on a dark backwoods highway, late on a moonless night, came over a rise in the road to see a tree/ log across the road. Couldn't stop in time, went over said log. Only visible damage was a missing fog light (Anyone know a place to source the passenger one? Can't find one local, no LCs in the wrecking yards.). Drove the remaining 90 or so miles home, alignment felt a little off, but not bad.

As we have driven it, probably a couple hundred miles total, it has pulled to the passenger side, worse and worse. Was already getting new tires. That mechanic, who I had never used before, said I needed upper ball ends and a steering rack to the tune of like $6k. Said the rack was not a rebuild-able type and a new one was like $1200-1400. I knew they were able to be rebuilt and a new one was way cheaper, so I took this guy with a grain of salt. He also said the tires I ordered would not fit when they were the same ones on the vehicle already, so I don't know why I went there at all.

Took it to my normal mechanic, he was going to rebuild the rack. Which is my first question. Labor-wise it is about the same to rebuild or replace. I can get a new rack from Rock Auto for $202-430, should I just replace it? If so, are the Ultra-Power ($202), AAE ($303) or Cardone (w/ inner tie rods, $430) from Rock Auto good ones?

He also wants to do the passenger front wheel bearing. I am struggling to find a diagram to get the OEM part numbers from, can anyone point me to one? I think I need the front inner bearing, front inner wheel seal and front out bearing and race set, Timken part numbers 710456, JLM506849A and SET47. Is this correct? Is there something better I should consider? Do I need a front inner race also?

He also wants to do upper and lower ball joints, which brands should I consider? Rock Auto only has Delphi for the upper.

The last thing he wants to do is the driver front upper control arm bushing. Should I do all the control arm bushings at the same time? Whose should I look at?

Finally, I am going to drain and fill the transfer case and differentials. Looking at Amsoil's site, it lists 80W-90 first and 75W-90 second for the differentials, but 75W-90 first and 80W-90 second. Can I run the same in both? Where I live, we rarely get below 0F or above 100F. The LC is mainly a daily driver, but I do take it off road or tow a trailer sometimes.

Thanks in advance.

Go to Cruiser Teq, it is the online store for @cruiseroutfit. You will want their wheel bearing kit (pick from Toyo or Timken; contains both bearings, seal, flange gasket, claw washer, & lock washer), snap ring kit, their balljoints (they stock 555 which are the go-to brand for aftermarket IMO), and I run 75W-90 Mobil1 in all diffs & transfer case just to make it easy for me. There's no harm in doing that way and several others do the same.

I would suggest doing both the driver & passenger side bearings at the same time for piece of mind. Also consider getting new hub flanges that Cruiser Outfitter also stocks.

Go to Cruiser Teq, it is the online store for @cruiseroutfit. You will want their wheel bearing kit (pick from Toyo or Timken; contains both bearings, seal, flange gasket, claw washer, & lock washer), snap ring kit, their balljoints (they stock 555 which are the go-to brand for aftermarket IMO), and I run 75W-90 Mobil1 in all diffs & transfer case just to make it easy for me. There's no harm in doing that way and several others do the same.

I would suggest doing both the driver & passenger side bearings at the same time for piece of mind. Also consider getting new hub flanges that Cruiser Outfitter also stocks.

This... plus I am doing relatively same thing on my truck. I am local to you so hit me up in the PM. I have lots and lots of part numbers, but call Kurt @cruiseroutfit and he will sort you out with everything you need.

Last edited:
AutoZone isnt where you want to pick up any parts of a Toyota made in Japan. That's the thing with japanese Toyotas, aftermarket just doesn't last or fit right.

OEM rack from Toyota all the way. Balljoints? 555. Wheel bearings - Timbken and Koyo were OEM.

DO NOT CHEAP OUT!!! I repeat, DO NOT cheap out on steering parts or axle parts, if at all possible. Get OE parts where you can between all the different online dealers and take the parts to your mechanic. Partsouq and other such toyota websites will give you the necessary part diagrams and part numbers based on your VIN. Use this and then research the parts number to find the best deal.

Took it to my normal mechanic, he was going to rebuild the rack. Which is my first question. Labor-wise it is about the same to rebuild or replace. I can get a new rack from Rock Auto for $202-430, should I just replace it? If so, are the Ultra-Power ($202), AAE ($303) or Cardone (w/ inner tie rods, $430) from Rock Auto good ones?

GET an OEM steering rack ALL 100% brand new parts for like $475. NO for rebuild rack when an OEM rack from the dealer is about $150-200 more. Cruiser outfitters have good parts and won't cheat you like other shops.

Wow... notice the OP is from Reno! I graduated with a Ph. D from UNR back in 2011!! A great city to live in.

And to add on to the above... RockAuto is good for SOME OE parts, but not all. When replacing stuff, do not go with anything that is not considered an OE brand (555, Mitsobushi, NGK, etc.). If the percentage increase for an OE part is minimal, then the thought process is irrelevant as most non-OE parts will not last near as long as an OE part.

And @nissanh Reno has changed LOTS in the last couple years. All the downtown area has been completely rebuilt and now heading down Virginia St. to the Peppermill. COMPLETELY different play that it was 5yrs. ago, let along 10 or more.

Thanks everyone, got everything but the rack from Cruiser Outfitters. Got the rack from Roseville (Cali) Toyota. Site said nothing about it being a rebuild, but it turned out to be a Toyota rebuilt one. Everything is being installed, but my normal guy can't do the upper ball joints. Having a hard time finding someone to install them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom