NEED HELP Intermittent non starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so the wifes lx was having issues. Wife said it would take her a few tries turning the key to get started, wouldnt crank, she would turn the key, dash lights come on but no cranking or anything. I did a little research and decided the most likely culprit was the starter contacts. Not knowing the history I decided to just replace the whole starter. Did that over the past two evenings. Got it all buttoned up and it fired right up, could definitely hear a difference in starter speed (one that came out looked oem 190k miles). I decided to drive the lx to work just in case, really cold this morning, fired right up no problems. Go out to lx for lunch and no start, nothing...same as she described, power is working to everything, but no crank and all, no clicking either of the starter solenoid.

These are the things I checked already.

Battery is good, only 2 weeks old, tests good with multimeter

Ground is good as far as my test, I put one lead on the positive battery terminal and the other on a frame bolt, got 12+ volts

both ignition relays test good, both with and without power

starter relay tests good both with and without power.

Im lost at this point and its frustrating, somehow the starter doesnt seem to be getting any voltage.

Not saying this is your answer but its worth looking into. Maybe your issue lies within the box.

Last edited:
I have read about this, but everyone who seems to have this issue with the efi relay says the car will still turn over. Mine is not cranking at all. Very frustrating

Sounds like your starter ground, as opposed to the main circuit ground, which is what you're checking at the battery. Check the entire length of the ground cable to the starter, from end to end. I'd bet you find an open there somewhere.

Sounds like your starter ground, as opposed to the main circuit ground, which is what you're checking at the battery. Check the entire length of the ground cable to the starter, from end to end. I'd bet you find an open there somewhere.
I thought that the primary cable running to the starter is the positive lead and the ground is through the block. The Triangles appear to mark the locations of the grounds. Check both ends, clean and add a little dielectric grease if you have some, else I just add a little vaseline or the like to keep any corrosion from returning

Screenshot_2.jpg

The saga continues. Left to run errands. Wouldnt start when I got out of walmart, waited 5 min, started up. Drove back to work, turned it off and tried to start it right away no go. So now we will see in 3 hrs when I go home.

neutral safety switch?
Likely this ^^^^ if you're not hearing the click/clank sound of the starter solenoid. Pull shifter back to N and give a firm push forward into park, twist key. If still no click or not turning over, pull starter relay and jumper socket 3 and 5 MOMENTARILY-BRIEFLY. If starter turns with jumper then likely wiring to solenoid is good. Could be starter relay or could still be the neutral safety switch or ignition switch.

View attachment 2589989

Appears that the image intended with my previous post didn't take. Here it goes again.
1613752115547.png

Posting year and region of use is helpful.

Next time this happens. Shift to "N" see if start, and or try jamming into "P". See if start. If so, try and repeat a few times. If consistently starts with this shifting action, 98% chance it is the neutral switch as mentioned a few times above. I've an 00LX has been doing this for 2 years. Mostly when GF drives it. But so infrequent I've yet to pull switch.

"N" SW sit on the RH side of transmission.

IMG_4287.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom