Need help identifying transm/transfer and bell housing (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thinking of picking up this transmission, transfer and bell housing here locally as a spare for my 2f in my ‘75 40. The owner said he doesn’t know what it’s from but was told it was out of an old land cruiser.
7B01A205-85EE-46BD-84CA-72E10808474F.jpeg

I know there is a lot of guys on here that are very familiar with these, so any help positively identifying it would be helpful. Or are more detailed photos needed to identify it? Thanks so much for any help!!

Last edited:
Can you post some pics from the front, back, top, and opposite side?

Definitely a split transfer case. Either a long H41/H42 or an H55f. Don't know about the bellhousing. Driveshaft looks like the double cardan driveshaft from my '84 FJ60. Unusual in that the long H41/H42 or H55f 60-Series I'm familiar with don't have the double cardan front driveshaft.

Last edited:
Looks like a long h41, sensor in the bellhousing suggest a bj40 / hj60 diesel, Bj will have a fine spline input shaft, hj will have a coarse spline. Bellhousing looks like a bj40/42 as the input was a little longer.

BJ60 10/82+ Guessing a H55. If four speed would be 4/85+. That the date Toyota added the spacer to the four speed on the few markets still getting a four speed. That was rare behind a 3B engine. Guessing from a (3/84. Spring is in the wrong location to say five speed or four speed. If you really want help at lease take clear picture without other items blocking the item your asking about.

I haven’t seen it yet, that’s just the one photo the seller had. I was just curios if it could be identified from the junky photo.

BJ60 10/82+ Guessing a H55. If four speed would be 4/85+. That the date Toyota added the spacer to the four speed on the few markets still getting a four speed. That was rare behind a 3B engine. Guessing from a (3/84. Spring is in the wrong location to say five speed or four speed. If you really want help at lease take clear picture without other items blocking the item your asking about.
I wish I had more photos, the one I posted is just the one from the seller. He didn’t have any others and didn’t seem to interested in taking more. If I get it tomorrow I will definitely post more photos. Thanks!

When you look at it pay attention to the section between the transmission and transfer case. It is cast iron not aluminum like the transfer case. If it's just plan on top it will be a four speed. If it has a shaft coming out of the transmission cover that goes to a shaft in the section it is a five speed. The fifth gear shifter is exposed on the top. Look at the input shaft on the teansmission. I'm guessing fine spline. Not a F engine bellhousing. H engines are aluminum. This looks like cast iron. The B engine use a fine spline input shaft on the transmission. It is all longer. It will not bolt to a F engine in less you change the input shaft on the transmission and use a F engine bellhousing. The transmission will bolt right up if you change the input shaft and front bearing retainer. Because it's not from a 40 series the shifters will be further back on the transmission cover unless using it with a V8. V8 being shorter than the straight six the transmission will move forward.

Of the transmission of course.
When you look at it pay attention to the section between the transmission and transfer case. It is cast iron not aluminum like the transfer case. If it's just plan on top it will be a four speed. If it has a shaft coming out of the transmission cover that goes to a shaft in the section it is a five speed. The fifth gear shifter is exposed on the top. Look at the input shaft on the teansmission. I'm guessing fine spline. Not a F engine bellhousing. H engines are aluminum. This looks like cast iron. The B engine use a fine spline input shaft on the transmission. It is all longer. It will not bolt to a F engine in less you change the input shaft on the transmission and use a F engine bellhousing. The transmission will bolt right up if you change the input shaft and front bearing retainer. Because it's not from a 40 series the shifters will be further back on the transmission cover unless using it with a V8. V8 being shorter than the straight six the transmission will move forward.

Well I picked it up today (like actually lifted it up with 3 guys and put it in to the back of a 4Runner, and that thing was ridiculously heavy!!). It’s home now and I can confirm it is a 5 speed, shifts smoothly into all 5 gears and reverse! Very unusual for something like this to pop up here in Hawaii. Here are some photos I took of it. Hope these will help to confirm the bell housing and or what it came from.
3D1B59BF-1F2A-459B-A5C4-CCD0FB4EBD32.jpeg
2955E749-9F6F-4BD6-833B-1B82A5B2A54C.jpeg
3C22AD76-B070-4451-A12A-71078438952E.jpeg
4402DBD7-7722-4622-9EE8-617BEC6217A6.jpeg
E09E16C6-20EE-4CF4-85DD-91FCBC8F52A4.jpeg

Cont...

What’s the spline count on the input shaft ?
Can you tell from the photo above or do I just count each spline on that shaft in the bell housing?

Can you tell from the photo above or do I just count each spline on that shaft in the bell housing?

that is a "B" input shaft, if going to use it with a 2F that needs to be changed out.

looks like the transfer fill plug might need some rehab work.

If you look on the back side of the transfer case by the removable plate on the left side you should find a date code. Will be a number followed by a letter then probably four more numbers. It will either be just behind the PTO opening (removable plate) or on the top of the transfer case just behind the transmission. Should be on the back but my 83 H55F and transfer case it was on the top for some reason.

If you look on the back side of the transfer case by the removable plate on the left side you should find a date code. Will be a number followed by a letter then probably four more numbers. It will either be just behind the PTO opening (removable plate) or on the top of the transfer case just behind the transmission. Should be on the back but my 83 H55F and transfer case it was on the top for some reason.
This is what I found in that area you described, is that it?
B73125C2-7F11-4B08-AC87-4FC1C56B291C.jpeg

A diesel bellhousing for sure.

The DC drive shaft is a nice unit. Keep that, because you'll need it for something sometime. I have kind of hoarded those.

That H55 is cool, but the input shaft will need to be swapped out to use it unless you have a 3B or something similar.

That would out 84 number 7147 units made that month. The transmission shift cane looks like a LHD. The transfer shifter looks like one I have from a 70 series. 11/84 was the start of the 70 series by this date could have come from a BJ7X series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom