need help identifying transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My tcase output seals need replacing in a bad way, I'm 6 days out from lonestar toyota jamboree, and have bought the wrong seals, my Internet searching has not been fruitful. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 85 fj60 with a 5 speed installed by pre
14933843328612093022492.jpg
14933843328612093022492.jpg
vious owner.

Just get the correct seals at the dealer. Usually they can have them overnight. And it looks like most of the work is done?

So is my t case a stock 60 or did it come with the 5 speed? It's either different or my local parts (pros) sold me wrong seals.

Looks like a totally stock split case to me, probably the one that came on the truck. If you measure the idler shaft most are 34mm which is 3/86 and down. If it's 38mm, it's 4/86-87. If it has a vacuum 4wd shifter it's out of an FJ62, but yours does not appear to have that.

What year/month is your truck? My guess the transfer is the same.

Looks like a totally stock split case to me, probably the one that came on the truck. If you measure the idler shaft most are 34mm which is 3/86 and down. If it's 38mm, it's 4/86-87. If it has a vacuum 4wd shifter it's out of an FJ62, but yours does not appear to have that.

Truck is an may/85

The current Toyota part number for the seal is the same across all years of FJ6x. There's a different part number for the front seal, also the same across all years. The difference between the early and late cases affects the idler and a few internal bearings but not the output seals. I've rebuilt a few cases, but couldn't tell you if there's a noticeable difference between the front and rear seals. Maybe one is larger than the other and the shop gave you the wrong one? (edit: reread your post and it looks like you're trying to replace both).

Seal, Oil (For Output Shaft Retainer) 90311-48010
Seal, Oil (For Output Shaft Front Retainer) 90311-48022

Last edited:
Thank you for all the help, my local toyota dealer will have the correct seals for me tomorow, it's good to have this massive community to fall back on when working on a 30+ year old rig.

I've rebuilt 3 FJ60 split cases but I'm certainly no export. In tbe OP's pics, what's the metal tube at nine o'clock? My cases had a plug there, like in mwebfj60's picture (post #6).

There was a pretty good tip on another thread recently about putting a little ultra grey on the splines before you slide the flanges back on...keeps gear Oil from weeping past the splines. I've never done it and haven't leaked but others have had leaks past the splines.

This seal is not easy for a parts store to find!! I know I'm a little late to the party on this thread. Today I pulled my leaking output shaft seal only to find the seal I ordered from RockAuto was the incorrect seal. I called several parts stores including Advanced Auto, Fishers, NAPA and a local parts store with none being able to cross reference the NGK BH53731E seal that was in the transfer case. Some found and were ready to sell me the same wrong seal that RockAuto sent me. I broke down and called the Toyota dealership with the toyota part # I found on MUD and ordered the same toyota 90311-48010 seal. They should have it by tomorrow.

There was a pretty good tip on another thread recently about putting a little ultra grey on the splines before you slide the flanges back on...keeps gear Oil from weeping past the splines. I've never done it and haven't leaked but others have had leaks past the splines.

When I put an adapter on a GM trans I seal around the splines of the input shaft for the T-Case for just that reason. Also recommended in the AA instructions. Makes sense to do it with a stock trans and T case as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom