Need help identifying key code number (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My ignition cylinder is kaput—the key pulls out in any position—not very safe. So, I am going to buy an oem ignition cylinder from @ToyotaMatt and have him key it to my original key code. So, here’s the rub. I suspect that this number is a “1” but could possibly see it as a ”4”. Does anybody have a picture of their key code that either has a clear “1” or “4” so I can make sure I get my code right. Also, any pictures of a “3” vs and “8” would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

9F1D3A91-DACD-4178-B45E-6626D2FA6C4E.jpeg

My ignition cylinder is kaput—the key pulls out in any position—not very safe. So, I am going to buy an oem ignition cylinder from @ToyotaMatt and have him key it to my original key code. So, here’s the rub. I suspect that this number is a “1” but could possibly see it as a ”4”. Does anybody have a picture of their key code that either has a clear “1” or “4” so I can make sure I get my code right. Also, any pictures of a “3” vs and “8” would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

View attachment 2595438
is that number on your cylinder or the key code Metal Tag?

OEM Toyota Keys Code 2281.jpg

It’s on the passenger door cylinder. Unfortunately the metal tag is long gone.
Ok... I just got a new cylinder, but I still have my key code tag.... and didn’t need to check the door cylinder ..so, it was easy to have it re-keyed to my code....

here are a few LIVE FJ60 / 62 era images

i will try to find verifiable fj40 1970;s ones here shortly

age time era pro dates , these key codes were INDEED 100% hand stamped at PLANT A11 , i have confirmed this thu my T-TEN contacts in the past .............

they also change fonts as time goes on / are different in older verse newer 1973-1990 FJ40, FJ55 , FJ60/62 and so on

NON USA General spec monkey business like all the KNOCK-DOWN - BOX/ OR CKD land cruisers hand assembles in BOGATA COLUMBIA is the absolute wort do decipher too ......

please see my last image below of a KNOCK DOWN Land cruiser 40 series modle , back in the day ............

fascination is a understatement.... 🤔

FJ55_door_cylinder.jpg
key code 2.JPG
key code 3.JPG
key code 4.JPG

key code 6.jpg
kry code 1.JPG

NOTE: I added the obvious photo shop art in white text , for my store , but only close to original image i have on file still

19760528_01_01_en_s1 #3.jpg

Thanks!!
Here's a lock with a '1' like yours, also a '3' and a '7' for comparison. The back bar of the 'K' is faint like yours too. Code is K1736

Rt Front Door Lock Cylinder Code No. Closeup.jpg

Here's a lock with a '1' like yours, also a '3' and a '7' for comparison. The back bar of the 'K' is faint like yours too. Code is K1736

View attachment 2596776
Thank you!! Very interesting how close ours are together in number, especially when you consider the “K”s are almost identical. We must of had the same person stamping our cylinders—it wasn’t a good day for stamping “K”’s, I guess.

I very much appreciate you taking the time to post the pictures. My locks are off to @ToyotaMatt to get matched to the ignition cylinder.

He just cut a key set for that cylinder code for my locks, they work great!

When the key can slip out in any position, is that due to a worn tumbler (correct term?) or a complete worn lock cylinder assembly?

When the key can slip out in any position, is that due to a worn tumbler (correct term?) or a complete worn lock cylinder assembly?
My guess is the tumblers—but could also be that your key is worn or a combination of both. That brings said, if it is the ignition, I recall @ToyotaMatt saying it was best to replace the whole thing.

Thanks to the wonderful info on here, I found the key code and had my local dealer cut me a new set of keys (last two in stock) and boy did that make a difference. Much smoother operation in the ignition and it no longer slides out. :bounce:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom