Need help identifying growling/chirping sound. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our cruiser started making this noise yesterday. Today it's a lot worse. This afternoon is the first chance I've had to look at it. I'm thinking water pump? We had the water pump and timing belt done about 6 months ago. I think with oem stuff. If not the shop didn't do what I asked them to.

'01 LC with 185k
Here is the Video:

Check out your fan wobbling. Looks like the fan bearing is going. You will need one of these guys:

It is a pretty straight forward repair. My only additional advice is when you loosen the fan shroud, drop a piece of cardboard or two down there to cover up the radiator fins, as no matter how careful you are you will likely bump into it at some point.

Removing the radiator makes things a lot easier. It should be about a 2-3 hour job including the radiator removal and install.

It is not a repair that can wait, you should park the vehicle and address the issue, or limp it to a shop. If it fails it will put the fan into the radiator. The fan will shred itself as it's designed to not be super strong, but it will take out the serpentine belt and fling plastic everywhere, probably cut hoses, etc.

Last edited:
Check out your fan wobbling. Looks like the fan bearing is going. You will need one of these guys:

It is a pretty straight forward repair. My only additional advice is when you loosen the fan shroud, drop a piece of cardboard or two down there to cover up the radiator fins, as no matter how careful you are you will likely bump into it at some point.

Removing the radiator makes things a lot easier. It should be about a 2-3 hour job including the radiator removal and install.

It is not a repair that can wait, you should park the vehicle and address the issue, or limp it to a shop. If it fails it will put the fan into the radiator. The fan will shred itself as it's designed to not be super strong, but it will take out the serpentine belt and fling plastic everywhere, probably cut hoses, etc.
x2, and do it immediately. Only tough part about the fan bracket is getting the two bolts out by the A/C compressor. Also, only buy the Aisin FBT-002, either from RockAuto (cheapest) or Toyota (expensive).

Looking at the video again, it looks like the coolant reservoir might be low, which means you may have some coolant going somewhere. I'd check the radiator, which looks like it could be original. If you're pulling it out, its as good a time as any to look it over and be ready with some new radiator hoses. They are cheap ($30-50 bucks for some good USA gates ones, or a little more for OEM). The radiator isn't as cheap, but Denso makes a nice one and it's really not as bad as you might think.

Props on a nice video, it makes is super easy to ID the issue.

Thanks for the help guys. I thought the fan woblle was a pretty good indicator. That's why I thought it was the water pump. With the older rigs I've worked on that looks just like the water pump. I forget the water pump is actually inside and you can't really see it. On this motor. Also figured it would be bad to drive it anymore. It's just sounded like that the last 2 days for a total of about 10 miles of driving but I'll get it fixed before we go anywhere else. Is there a good thread I can reference for the job? All my hoses still feel very soft and pliable. Not sure why the radiator fluid is low. Could have been that way for a while. Haven't really checked on it since the timing belt job. Haven't had a bit of trouble with the truck getting hot. Just finished a 2000 mile trip to so cal a few weeks back. Glad it didn't give out on me then. What do I need too look for when inspecting the radiator?

Should I replace fan clutch too. It's original. Wondering about tensioner pulley as well. Is the Aisin part as good as the or from Toyota? It's almost 1/2 the cost. I'm all in on keeping this thing reliable so I'd rather replace parts before they fail then when they fail at least on things that are known to fail at certain time/milage.

Should I replace fan clutch too. It's original. Wondering about tensioner pulley as well. Is the Aisin part as good as the or from Toyota? It's almost 1/2 the cost. I'm all in on keeping this thing reliable so I'd rather replace parts before they fail then when they fail at least on things that are known to fail at certain time/milage.
How many miles are on it? You said you aren't 100% OEM equivalent components were used for timing belt job?

I'd definitely look around for a slow coolant leak somewhere (or water pump weep from weep hole). If it's original radiator my bet is it's the rad seams.

Aisin tensioner is a good product, and a food thing to do, as are the idler and tensioner pulleys. At 190k my tensioner itself is pretty tired and the pulley and tensioner was the same price as the pulley itself.

Milage is 185k
I have an appointment at the shop for next Wednesday. If I can find the time I might rather tackle this myself. I've not been overly happy with this or any shop. Nobody does things "right" so I always have to live with it or be the guy that complains or fix it anyway. I had to replace the alternator myself right after it was in the shop for the timing belt job even though I had told them to fix whatever the whining sound was. He said he couldn't hear anything wrong. Also told them to put new tensioner and idler pulleys on it. He said he doesn't like to replace things that aren't broke. Can I do this myself? We have a week or more before we need the truck so I have time to gather parts. I need help coming up with a parts list of what to replace while I'm in there. As well as if I need to buy oem or is there a current equivalent that is just as good? So far I'm thinking :
Fan bracket
Fan clutch
Radiator
Tensioner and pulley
Idler pulley(how many are there?)

Thanks

Nobody does things "right" so I always have to live with it or be the guy that complains or fix it anyway.
That’s why many folks here started doing the work themselves.
I need help coming up with a parts list of what to replace while I'm in there. As well as if I need to buy oem or is there a current equivalent that is just as good? So far I'm thinking :
Fan bracket
Fan clutch
Radiator
Tensioner and pulley
List looks good. Aisin fan bracket, Aisin fan clutch, Denso/Koyo/Toyota/Mishimoto radiator, Toyota tensioner and idler (there’s only 1 idler).
1619618151704.jpeg

You mentioned earlier that the radiator hoses seem in OK shape. If they’re not Toyota hoses with Toyota constant-tension clamps, now would be the best time to replace them. If the shop didn’t use Toyota red coolant + distilled H20 when doing the timing belt job, this also would be a good time to flush the system and replace with red.

Milage is 185k
I have an appointment at the shop for next Wednesday. If I can find the time I might rather tackle this myself. I've not been overly happy with this or any shop. Nobody does things "right" so I always have to live with it or be the guy that complains or fix it anyway. I had to replace the alternator myself right after it was in the shop for the timing belt job even though I had told them to fix whatever the whining sound was. He said he couldn't hear anything wrong. Also told them to put new tensioner and idler pulleys on it. He said he doesn't like to replace things that aren't broke. Can I do this myself? We have a week or more before we need the truck so I have time to gather parts. I need help coming up with a parts list of what to replace while I'm in there. As well as if I need to buy oem or is there a current equivalent that is just as good? So far I'm thinking :
Fan bracket
Fan clutch
Radiator
Tensioner and pulley

Thanks

Do it yourself. It is really hard to find a good mechanic, and you can't even trust the dealer's "certified" mechanics most of the time it seems.

Even if it takes you 3 days you'll know it was done right....or at least exactly WHAT was done / not done in there.

Yeah, replace those hoses with the radiator unless they've been done before. They like to burst at that mileage!

Thanks guys. I've done the alternator. Sould I be replacing any of the other stuff power steering pump, crankshaft pulley, A/C compressor?

Thanks guys. I've done the alternator. Sould I be replacing any of the other stuff power steering pump, crankshaft pulley, A/C compressor?
crankshaft pulley is fixed so no need unless bent. AC compressor and power steering pumps can last a very long time.

Last edited:
Ok. Good to know. Thanks.

Hi! I’ve started having a similar issue sometimes at idle, but previously only heard noises the first minutes while at drive. Was the noise outer at cold engine and low rpm?

Should I replace all cooling/heater hoses or just the ones going in and out of the radiator?

Milage is 185k
Fan bracket
Fan clutch
Radiator
Tensioner and pulley

Thanks
You are now officially a victim of MUD-induced scope creep

Hi! I’ve started having a similar issue sometimes at idle, but previously only heard noises the first minutes while at drive. Was the noise outer at cold engine and low rpm?
I heard nothing until yesterday afternoon. That was one day and 2 short(less then 10 miles each) drives after my wife first heard something weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom