Need help identifying early FJ40 bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Morning everyone.

I have a funky vintage rear bumper on my 1966 FJ40. I pulled it off yesterday and was going to return the rear of the truck to a factory appearance, but started looking at the bumper I began to appreciate how well made it was, and am thinking about remounting it as it is period correct, even if not factory.

it appears similar to ones offered by Conn-Ferr in the 60s. Does anyone know if it is a Conn-Ferr unit or other known FJ40 vender?

Thanks, and apologies for the crappy pics. Will post better pics after the coffee kicks in.
68AD96C4-B38D-46FD-B8F3-71D13A581514.jpeg
5E5175B6-72ED-44D2-8D6B-46030C78C7F7.jpeg

I see that, but if it is any consolation yours are more visible than mine. Fwiw, I ended up using trailer lights instead of using the embedded brake light holes. I don’t care much for the look but had to pull the safety card as It seems inevitable that you will have tailgaters when you drive a vintage 40.
54C8A7A5-6243-4424-80E0-B1C4F130F871.jpeg

I see that, but if it is any consolation yours are more visible than mine. Fwiw, I ended up using trailer lights instead of using the embedded brake light holes. I don’t care much for the look but had to pull the safety card as It seems inevitable that you will have tailgaters when you drive a vintage 40.View attachment 2441091
I see that, but if it is any consolation yours are more visible than mine. Fwiw, I ended up using trailer lights instead of using the embedded brake light holes. I don’t care much for the look but had to pull the safety card as It seems inevitable that you will have tailgaters when you drive a vintage 40.View attachment 2441091
Great cleanup! Paint or powder coat? What color?

Thanks, it is just RustOleum aluminum after using a wire wheel to get it down to bare metal.

Thanks, it is just RustOleum aluminum after using a wire wheel to get it down to bare metal.
I’ll send pics soon but I had mine powder coated to match the toyota metal flake gray front bumper. I did find LED lights for the bumper Betts #51001. I also have a marker lights on both sides of the rear door. I am removing the coffin looking lights (hexagonal) and replacing with truck-lite markers. When I get the bumper installed I’ll send an updated pic.

6E13128E-656D-47D5-B5CD-ED51EFFEFF40.jpeg

I had no idea that others had a similar bumper to mine. Thought it was just a PO custom made job.
My truck came with trailer lights cut into the body (where the Toyota emblem is on driver side), so I patched those holes and frenched some LED lights into the bumper. At first I wasn't sure if I would keep the bumper but it has grown on me. Still looking to add a spare tire carrier and gas can rack, but haven't figured out exactly how I want to do it and make it strong enough to hold up.

20210326_102535.jpg

20210326_102548.jpg

20210326_102612.jpg

@ucmlamb

Put a spindle in bumper and make a swing out.

@pjohnson

That is my plan, in fact I have a Rough Stuff spindle sitting in the box. It just hasn't been high enough on the 'todo' list for me to get to yet.

What part of Idaho are you in? I grew up in Blackfoot and that is where I got my first 40, been hooked ever since.

@ucmlamb

We are in Meridian. Transplanted from the CA Bay Area (Gilroy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom