Need help identifying drivetrain noise. Like a rotational thumping sound. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All. I had a mechanic take a look at my car and they said they couldn't recreate what I was talking about.

Last weekend, I took the 100 out to death valley and had a crazy thumping noise coming from the vehicle. The car sat from Sunday to Saturday before a mechanic could take a look at it. For the drive there and with the mechanic, the 100 did not make a peep and sounded as smooth as silk. This morning on my commute to work, it started making the noise again.

It isn't just a noise, I can physically feel the thumping. It started as a drone sound at first but developed into something much worse. At first, it was just a sound on acceleration. Now it is a sound and a thumping noise. I recorded a video so please take a look and a listen. I was pretty shocked that the mechanic didn't believe me when I said it had these kind of symptoms because there was none present for a 5 mile drive.

As always, thanks guys!

My initial thought was tires, do you have a winter or summer set you can put on or put the backs on the front. Then again if it was the tires you’d think the mechanic would’ve heard it

I'm 100% it isn't the tires or else the sound would be present always. It started again after a good 7-10 miles into the drive.

What do your tires look like? is the wear on them even? wheel bearing? Are the shocks new/old?

Sounds like U-joints. Grease the joints and see if noise goes away, repair as needed.

What do your tires look like? is the wear on them even? wheel bearing? Are the shocks new/old?
Tires look almost brand new. Maybe 2k on them. Shocks just got replaced with OME stuff 2 months ago. Wheel bearing, CV, or diff is what I'm leaning towards. I pulled the tire because it's coming from the drivers side and the CV boots are a little cracked and is throwing a bit of grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom