Need help finding taller gears (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2500rpm is high at 75mph which results in bad mileage and irritating on long trips

My 97’ f350 with 7.3 psd has 3:55 gears ..and When I’m at 70 I’m 1800rpm ish which is nice in mileage and engine noise..lol

I dont understand the argument. Dude wants to change gearing. Who cares why? Buy the overdrive kit and see if it's good enough and if you need more still regear the axles

Bunch of dudes that have never driven his setup arguing about the best way to sort it out. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
I dont understand the argument. Dude wants to change gearing. Who cares why? Buy the overdrive kit and see if it's good enough and if you need more still regear the axles

Bunch of dudes that have never driven his setup arguing about the best way to sort it out. Makes no sense.
Amen. 😂

Can you post up a link for a Allison to toyota transfer case adapter? I didn't know there was one. Do you have a Allison in your land cruiser?

I do not but one day I hope, to put in something better
Should have used the Allison? Don’t want to sound rude but have you put a duramax into a 80 series before?

I would never put that POS in a Cruiser, but I have done a bunch of 6BT in cruisers because I love them and hate all GM products :flipoff2:

I have over 80K miles on my Cummins swap, so I do have a slight idea on diesel swaps

I do not but one day I hope, to put in something better

I would never put that in a Cruiser, but I have done a bunch of 6BT in cruisers because I love them and hate all GM products
So you have never put a Allison in a land cruiser? Do you have a link to a Allison adapter to the toyota transfer case? What's so bad about a duramax? I remember your build thread. Didn't you have that shop in Oregon do your swap?

Last edited:
I’m sitting right around 2500 going 75mph I’m just thinking 🤔 if I was <2k my mpg’s would be great and it would be less loud in the cab

Toyota 1HD-T turbo diesels sit at around 2900-3000rpm at 75mph.

That is at about 70% of the way between peak torque, and peak power.
You have some power in reserve for passing, and plenty of torque in reserve to deal with falling rpm on hills.

They are happy at that all day. Noisy, but happy.

Curious to know where 2500rpm is in your model duramax's power band?

So you have never put a Allison in a land cruiser? Do you have a link to a Allison adapter to the toyota transfer case? What's so bad about a duramax? I remember your build thread. Didn't you have that shop in Oregon do your swap?

The Duramax is a V8 Diesel a real PITA to work on, and not a great motor IMHO I am running a 6BT with a VE mechanical pump a very simple engine, I also despise GM products . there is not a Allison adapter for the stock transfer case, that I know of . I did not have a a shop do my swap, I did my swap myself , and I have worked on several cruiser swaps , I would love to put a Allison 1000 transmission in my cruiser

The Duramax is a V8 Diesel a real to work on, and not a great motor IMHO I am running a 6BT with a VE mechanical pump a very simple engine, I also despise GM products . there is not a Allison adapter for the stock transfer case, that I know of . I did not have a a shop do my swap, I did my swap myself , and I have worked on several cruiser swaps , I would love to put a Allison 1000 transmission in my cruiser
So im confused. The op would like different differential gears. So you comment o his transmission and he should have chosen a Allison. But there is no Allison adapter, so how is he supposed to use a Allison transmission? Why would you recommend a transmission knowing there is no adapter? Now your saying you despise gm products but would love to have a allison in your cruiser which is a gm product?

So im confused. The op would like different differential gears. So you comment o his transmission and he should have chosen a Allison. But there is no Allison adapter, so how is he supposed to use a Allison transmission? Why would you recommend a transmission knowing there is no adapter? Now your saying you despise gm products but would love to have a allison in your cruiser which is a gm product?
That’s just how he rolls. I gave up on expecting much more than trolling a long time ago.

I was just saying the 4L is not a good transmission for a dura max it was never used for them, getting a Allison is a dream no there is not an adapter for for the Toyota transfer case, and the gears 3.54 are available, in Australia, but I have been told that they are not of high quality . I hope soon a a adapter will come out, but these things just don't appear from no where it takes time and engineering to see if it is doable and worth it

That’s just how he rolls. I gave up on expecting much more than trolling a long time ago.
Sorry I have a life and I don't spend my day's here to whine about someone who doesn't reply right away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom