Need help finding a good mechanic for trans issue with '78 FJ40 (new H55F 5spd) to rebuilt 2F Toyota I6 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last year we had our 2F engine rebuilt by Mosely and mated a brand new H55F 5spd to it. Drove beautifully.

About a week ago, basically lost the ability to shift. Will have to tow. Felt like a vacuum that wouldn't catch the gear off the clutch and then just revved to super high RPMs and then eventually caught, and jolted me forward. Toyota mechanic did notice the master clutch slave was from a 3spd so we swapped it out with a new OEM correct part. I guess he didn't test drive it b/c nothing improved. I just don't know if this is a trans issue or a clutch, or both. My mechanic put in a brand new OEM clutch kit about 6 mos ago. The new engine/transmission pairing has less than 500 miles on it.

My mechanic is no longer around and I want to be careful that I find a good shop or someone known to the board? We are in Morristown NJ. Thanks very much for any help. I need it! Eric

Did he/they reuse your old clutch fork?

Check to see that the fork pivots tightly on the pivot, and doesn’t try to walk off the pivot a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom