Need HELP - Factory Seat bracket bolt broken (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

231Designs

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi there -

I am in the process of restoring and reupholstering my seats on my 74 FJ40.

I have the bucket seats and years ago the passenger side lower seat bracket bolt snapped. The seat mostly held together with limited use not having the cap but holding that portion of the upper seat back bracket to the lower seat.

Now that I have the seats torn down and have sand blasted the bracket I would like to repair that bolt/post.

Has anyone tackled this repair before? I’ve searched through a bunch of threads on seats and repair but have not encountered this issue yet.

When it first broke the simple though was to cut it out and weld in a new bolt - now that it is all in pieces the bolt has a “collar” that the bracket sits on that a replacement bolt would not have that collar - unless there is a type of bolt that has this covered.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pics for reference.

IMG_9258.jpeg

IMG_9259.jpeg

IMG_9260.jpeg

IMG_9261.jpeg

You need to take some measurement to determine the correct size shoulder bolt you need to make the fix. Once you know the size of the bolt you can order one from McMaster-Carr. Once you have the right bolt it is simply a matter of removing the old piece and welding in the new replacement. Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the bracket.

You need to take some measurement to determine the correct size shoulder bolt you need to make the fix. Once you know the size of the bolt you can order one from McMaster-Carr. Once you have the right bolt it is simply a matter of removing the old piece and welding in the new replacement. Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the bracket.
This is perfect. Thank you. I knew there had to be a name for that type of bolt. A Shoulder Bolt!

I’ll get some measurements and find something that will work

Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom