Need help. Engine not starting after installing plugs. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
coachglenndavis.com
I'm in a tight spot and need help. I installed the NGK Iridium IX LFR6AIX-11 spark plugs this morning. I also put on a new serpentine belt. I was eager to crank it up to feel the vibes of the new plugs but as soon as the engine kicks in it dies. Blue smoke came out of the pipes and there's a strong smell of gas. If the engine is flooded with gas, I have no idea how it happened. I've checked to be sure all wires/hoses/etc are plugged in. I called NGK tech support and was told I have the correct plugs.

During the last attempt, the engine started for about 2 secs with a very rough idle.

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Have you checked to see if there are any codes stored?

Have you checked to see if there are any codes stored?
Thank you!!!

I disengaged the wire-block from the firewall to obtain access to that rear plug. And most likely when I inserted the wire-block back into the firewall, it was not seated firmly. Thus, it threw out a ton of codes. The code reader showed 20+ codes! So I re-inserted the wire-block to verify it was fully seated, cleared the codes, checked the codes again, and it started with no issue. The engine operates normally (and better with new plugs!). I did ask God for help and indeed He gave the answer as I need to pick my son up from school very soon and then see a client.

So anyone reading this: when you are installing new plugs, make double sure the wire-block is fully seated into the housing.

Not OEM. It's one of NGK's new line of iridium plugs. Last time I used Denso SK20HR11 with no issues. Wanted to see if the NGK IX are the same or better.
They’re not. Toyota engines like OEM parts only.

They’re not. Toyota engines like OEM parts only.
I hope you're being sarcastic, right?

Toyota does not make their own spark plugs. They source them from Denso and NGK, and probably 1-2 more. I've used Valvoline in the transmission case and power steering, Mobile 1 for the engine, Xerex engine coolant, whatever brake fluid is on sale, and Valvoline moly grease for the zerks. I've done this the past 50k miles. Zero issues. Saved a ton of money. Battery is an Interstate from Costco.

When I replaced the starter and a few suspension things, yes, Toyota only.

I hope you're being sarcastic, right?

Toyota does not make their own spark plugs. They source them from Denso and NGK, and probably 1-2 more. I've used Valvoline in the transmission case and power steering, Mobile 1 for the engine, Xerex engine coolant, whatever brake fluid is on sale, and Valvoline moly grease for the zerks. I've done this the past 50k miles. Zero issues. Saved a ton of money. Battery is an Interstate from Costco.

When I replaced the starter and a few suspension things, yes, Toyota only.
Actually I’m not. Many reports of folks trying to outsmart the engineers at Toyota and report poor economy, issues, longevity and reliability problems - especially with plugs.

Toyota specs 1 part number for Denso and 1 part number for NGK for a reason. Period.

Is your MAF plugged in?

I just did my plugs and forgot to plug the MAF back in... would fire briefly and then die... Oops!

Toyota specs 1 part number for Denso and 1 part number for NGK for a reason.

Perhaps what you are trying to say is Toyota, currently, only has 2 parts they “approve” for plugs. Tks for validating my point that Yota does not make their own plugs (they also don’t make their own fluids).

I’m 100% confident a high quality iridium plug from NGK more than meets whatever. Why would NGK put more quality and control into the Yota specific fitting plug than their other plugs? That doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:
Why would NGK put more quality and control into the Yota specific fitting plug than their other plugs?
No one is saying they do. Just that the engine is meticulously designed to run with a very specific plug, and often do better than when people try to "upgrade" plugs on an otherwise stock engine. Slap a turbo onto it? Sure.. change them.

I can think of many vehicles in the past where the recommendation from NGK or Denso or whoever wasn't even the same heat range as stock! That's as simple as it gets on carrying over specifications.

No one is saying they do. Just that the engine is meticulously designed to run with a very specific plug, and often do better than when people try to "upgrade" plugs on an otherwise stock engine.
Ok, it's making more sense. I understand more of @04UZJ100 point and it's well taken. Both of you have helped me in the past and I appreciate your willingness to provide clarity to this. Thank you... and if we could slap a turbo on these things... sigh... ;)

Check your connections for all sparkplugs, connections to the firewall connector and MAF sensors etc.
Also, try to disconnect your battery and wait 5 mins and connect it and give a try.

I had similar issue with mine after changing sparkplugs and after some head scratching, one of my sparkplug connection was not put in properly.
I highly doubt , using a non OEM sparkplug is the issue here. as long as the sparkplug is not broken and creating spark the engine should run. Its timing may be a bit off based on the gap but it wouldn't stop running the engine.

I spoke with a tech person at NGK. Here's what I was told regarding the spark plug endorsed by Toyota by NGK, the NGK ILFR6T11:
  • The center electrode is laser-wielded.
  • It has a platinum chip on the ground side.
  • The plug is designed to last for 120k miles.
  • The ILFR6T11 was designed for longevity.
The other NGK iridium plugs do not have these features. However, there is no difference in the quality and performance in the other NGK iridium plugs. What @bloc and @04UZJ100 stated, it makes sense to get the ILFR6T11. It makes sense to pay just a tad more to get something with a longer life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom