Need help.. disc brake install.. see pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiserjunktion

Cruiserjunktion@gmail.com
GOLD Star
Threads
jto disc brake conversion install.... READ

Purchased a jto front disc conversion kit.

I am having a problem with the install.

My new rotors will only mount backwards. When installed the wrong way, they seat really nicely on the hub. see photo 1

When flipped around, the correct way, the rotor, won't go on the hub what so ever... see photo 2

These rotor were machined for this hub. Is machining a "one way" process or inside outside specific?

thanks for any help or opinions

mel

Last edited:
hey , do not put rotor on behind hub , you do not need to press it on with wheel studs , it slides over front as you have it , If you read instructions it says you may have to grind outer edge of hub to fit inside the new rotor , the custom maching done was to open the center hole , you have to fit your hubs in , .
Mine had 1 side slide right on and the other I ground like 1/16 off and bingo .
To do it easily just cover everything with tinfoil to keep clean and spin hub while holding a 4 in. grinder against say the steering arm or something to brace your hand and it is a piece o cake ti mill it right down and it is pretty damn true.

That is only the first problem .
The bolts they sent you are to long .
Your stock dust seal or felt will hit back of hub if installed over new caliper bracket so it gets deleted.
This allows for use of original bolts and safety wireing.
Be very careful when mounting calipers , run the bolts into the new brackets and make sure they go in fine , mine had a little tweak on 1 and I had to tap it after I fed it up.
I think you can still run the rear steering stops if you fab up some little hose holders or guides to keep em from pinching.
I have same set up and it works . Was frustrated that kit did not allow use of original dust seal .
I thought about modifing it to cut off felt channel and weld directly to new bracket just did not have time.

did you not read , you have to grind the outer edge of hub.

INSTRUCTIONS:

5. ........."there is a posibililty that the rotor may not fully seat'. 'This occasionally happens due to irregularity in rotors, simply gring the outside edge of the of the hub FLANGE.' 'Do not go past the factory cast mark."

May not fully seat, mine wont BEGIN to seat.

Isn't the FLANGE the part that hold the studs on the inside of the housing?
photo2

I didn't read anywhere that I am supposed to grind down the entire housing......
photo1

only 1/8 off the FLANGE.

Did you gring the whole thing?

Why will the rotors slide on the hub no problemo in 1 direction and not the other? This makes me weary of ANY grinding since they already fit in one direction. Is maching a one way process? Were the rotors machined on the wrong side?

Last edited:
I was just kidding... sorry about deleting it, meant to edit... anyhow, I think your rotor is hitting the outer edge of the wheel mounting surface. It looks as though you can see the very small shiny lip created by some interference. I am too busy to photoshop the pic and put an arrow there, but you will need to grind the outside of the wheel hub to clear.

look further out from the center of the hub past the lug studs and thats you culprit. grind the outside of the hub down and you will be fine.

mel lowe said:
yes the studs are lined up.......

jto suggested that may be my problem also.....

"I AM NOT AS STUPID AS I LOOK"

Show a picture of the install with the rotor off the hub so we can see how the rest of the install is done. Larry

Great Customer Service From Jto

Hello,

Got off the phone with JOE from JTO.....

He responded to 2 emails from me twice this afternoon..... thx joe

see photo for solution

needs a little grinding around yellow line..

Joe from JTO was very helpful

mel

Ahh, nothing like a little grinding to make the most important part of any vehicle fit! On one side I say nothing for our 20+ year old 40's ever 'bolts on". I intend no disrepect for JTO or whoever dsigned this kit but things like this is exactly why I sold my MAF kit for pennies on the dollar and went minitruck FDB.

I like it when the drum brake guys buy these kits so it keeps the supply up and the demand down on used minitruck FDB parts! ;p

I cannot complain, the MAF kit fit on without any modifications or workarounds - it only lacked the new studs promised on their picture. The front disk brakes have been a HUGE improvement.

I do not think it could have been clearer other than I should have said the outside dia. of the surface the wheel studs are pressed thru.
you got em on yet. ? Did you ask Joe about the felt seal issue ?????

I just saw something in the pic and it looks like the bleeder is on the bottom of the caliper in the pic , maybe not , but it should be on top.

sorry , brief halucination , pipe down now , resume thought , my bad.

One rotor & caliper on...

After a trip to advance for the purchase of a side grinder and about 90 mins of grinding...... one rotor and caliper are in place. I ran out of daylight, so it isn't plumbed. The other side will follow tommorow after work....

I will probaly be able to grind the other side in less time. Good thing I have an air compessor......

Could be done faster with other tools..... "Any job is ez w/ the correct tool"

mel

Well I don't know if a grinder is the correct tool. Personally I would be pissed if they cannot design a kit that bolts on without grinding something that is stock. Especially on you hub. If I could return it I would take the hub to a machine shop and have it lathed. But that just me.

wheel fitament jto

When I purchsed the jto front brake kit for my 71 fj40, I asked about wheel clearance. The salesman assured me the stock wheels would work. THEY DONT FIT over the new calipers.

I am really upset b/c I just spent $405 on oem size tires for these rims. I had them mounted and balenced, only to find the stock wheels won't work.

I chose oem size tires b/c I was using the oem wheels.......
Having known I was going to be purchasing new wheels...... I would have gotton bigger tires for them. What a waste.......

Besides the wheel fitament, I had to grind each hub for 90mins (no exageration). 3hrs of grinding is hardly "BOLT ON"

The guys at jto were helpful when I called...... Too bad the sales guy on the phone doesn't know what he is selling.

My truck will have to stay on jack stands until I get new wheels or put back on the drums. (dunno when I can get wheels, since I just spent $$$ on tires.)

I would have spent the $405 on wheels not skinny tires...

UNHAPPY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom