Need Help Disabling Auto Lock on Doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know what the auto lock feature is. But a hidden key is a good idea regardless. You can make a pretty stealth setup underneath if you don't need to access it often.

On a model with the autolock feature (?99% of US models) the doors should unlock automatically if the key is left in the ignition. As a test open the driver's side window then leave the key in the ignition and try to lock the doors. What happened?

More likely to accidentally leave the key inside the vehicle (out of the ignitiion cylinder), done that myself.

As mentioned above, get a spare key and hide it somewhere (don't ask where to hide it, there are many locations, use your imagination, you don't want to tell the world where you hide the key).

I don't know what the auto lock feature is. But a hidden key is a good idea regardless. You can make a pretty stealth setup underneath if you don't need to access it often.

The auto lock feature is that the doors automatically lock when the door is shut and the key is in the ignition. My only concern about a hidden key is that it would fall off on a technical trail.

The doors should automatically unlock if the key is left in the ignition, did you test it out yet? (be sure to leave a window open or get a spare key first)

You can buy a magnetic key holder box thingy, then place it anywhere that's hidden. My first 80 had a hidden key I didn't know about, found it by accident maybe five years after I bought the vehicle.

Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B01AU059KU

The doors should automatically unlock if the key is left in the ignition, did you test it out yet? (be sure to leave a window open or get a spare key first)

You can buy a magnetic key holder box thingy, then place it anywhere that's hidden. My first 80 had a hidden key I didn't know about, found it by accident maybe five years after I bought the vehicle.

Something like this:

Amazon product ASIN B01AU059KU

I've locked myself out a couple of times, including today. Once the door closes it auto locks.

The magnet boxes are very strong. But you can also zip tie a spare key somewhere.

The auto lock feature is that the doors automatically lock when the door is shut and the key is in the ignition. My only concern about a hidden key is that it would fall off on a technical trail.

If your door switch is malfunctioning (which it can/does on our vehicles after a bunch of years of use) you can/will lock yourself out in the OP's scenario.

Use some heavy duty duct tape or gorilla tape to strap a spare key somewhere under the chassis.

I did that under a removable panel for my motorcycle 12 years ago and it is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom