Need help determining what this sound may be. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've been looking around for a FZJ80 and found a one owner 97 for sale. it was traded in to a Toyota dealer and then sent out to a local car lot. It has slightly over 300k but was maintained meticulously by the previous owner. No major rust issues and looks pretty clean overall. They are asking 3999, but I probably wouldn't offer more than 3k. (No factory lockers, which I'm ok with)

I went to see it today and was able to start it up but I need to go back for an actual test drive. The engine started right up with no issue. Sounded pretty good, responded well to throttle and only let out what looked like some vapor from the exhaust but that went away once it warmed up.

The only thing that was concerning was this rattle sound coming from the lower part of the engine bay on the passenger side. It sounded like something rattling in a tin can. I couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from but it didn't seem to get worse when revving the engine. Definitely couldn't here it from inside of the cabin.

Here are some videos (first one you can definitely hear the sound better)

I understand that this truck has a lot of miles but I don't want to buy something that will need a rebuild out of the gate. If anybody has a solid guess on what this sound may be or if the price is too high let me know!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Rob

You can use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope or get a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where the noise is coming from, I would doubt if anyone can work out what the noise is just from the videos, but I've been wrong before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom