Need help, dealership is quoting $5k for front axels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image-1.jpeg
image-2.jpeg
image.jpeg

The pictures are great, but even if replacing everything, I just don't see how you could get to $5K. That's a LOT of labor $$$$.

id drive it until I couldn't stand the clicking anymore. I have a small chip in one of my birfs like that, one day ill replace it but no need now personally. the groove on the axle looks pretty deep but you you may be able to not fully seat the inner axle seal so it rides in a different location so it doesn't leak. if you have the money replace the axles and birfs but I wouldn't pay that dealership to do the work.

Hey dannyp... could I take my truck to do light off roading? Dealership put brand new inner shaft seals and other paper seals for me and packed it in with waterproof grease.

Just for the record also, once I have space to work on my truck I will, currently do not have the space... Victoria is super expensive so don't know anyone with a garage or even anyone who owns a house.

Another option is to eliminate the high prices in parts that they are charging and you could easily cut $2k off the bill. Or like everyone else here has said find a local that is willing to help you out and you would be way ahead, you could get the axle rebuild kit and new inner axles and CV's for less than $1000. Or just watch the videos, read the write ups and tackle it yourself over a weekend.

Slee has axles and CV's for $765
RCV has axles and CV's for $785

Dealer is charging $2570

Thanks Scottryana, I will definitely be doing it that way, I've been looking for a local backyard mechanic to do this job with together so I can learn and use his garage.

Wow I wouldn't have guessed that with the dollar being so weak. I am sure their are some canadian guys that can get you good deals on pricing. Maybe check with the guys at G&S cruisers. There is another guy up there but I don't remember his name.

Hey dannyp... could I take my truck to do light off roading? Dealership put brand new inner shaft seals and other paper seals for me and packed it in with waterproof grease.

I wheel mine pretty hard but I'm cautious not to spin the tires too much especially with the front locked. When they're spinning and all of a sudden get traction and stop that's how you break. Just be careful not to push your luck

try to pm @Akella to see if he can still get you the parts already in canada

I would try and get the parts cheaper and have the dealer install it like Scottyryan said.

Also, don't discount your 40 and 60 series owner friends. These fronts haven't changed a whole lot since the late 70's. If they know how to rebuild a 40 or 60 front end, there's only a couple of differences for the 80 which are easily figured out at that point.

As a matter of fact, you can almost interchange all of the parts from a rebuild kit from a 40 on an 80!

Can you drive it to the US, get the work done for 1/2 price, drive back home? Is that something you have to declare when you cross back into Canada?

Can you drive it to the US, get the work done for 1/2 price, drive back home? Is that something you have to declare when you cross back into Canada?

"Have to declare"?? you don't have to do anything... in theory yes but in practice no. They can't see it like a new set of tires etc...
Really a lot of the cost delta on the parts was exchange rate so no matter where that's done, there is still exchange rate.

i'd buy the parts from Dan or Beno and get some help. it's going to cost you around $1600 or so....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom