Need help! cant shift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, i have a 1993 Toyota T-100. Was driving then all of a sudden couldnt shift into any gears. No leaks around master or slave cylinder, slave cylinder moves about 1 inch when clutch is depressed, fluid was good not low at all. Tryed bleeding the system by hand, seemed to work but then problem came back within minutes. Replaced slave cylinder anyway and vacuum bled system. Still cant shift. Removed shifter, and found that the seat was destroyed, but the little plastic bushing is fine.

Can the destoyed seat cause this problem? And any other ideas before i have to remove the tranny?

Thanks in advance!!

The seat can cause shifting problems. The symptoms also sound like there could be a master cylander failure. The master can fail and you will not see any fluid leaks along with the sudden loss in shifting.

If you get a helper to pump the clutch you can observe the slave for proper operation. Mine would operate when depressed and a second later it would loose pressure. Also a thorough bleeding will assure that there is no air in the line.

I've been through two Napa master cylanders, I reccomend a Toyota replacement.

with the clutch depressed the slave moves and stays it does not lose pressure. Can the master still be faulty if the slave is working proper like this?

Does the clutch disengage the transmission? When parked, engine off, in gear, the rig shouldn't be able to be rolled, when the clutch is pushed, should roll like in neutral. If yes the problem is likely in the trans/shifter. If no the problem is likely clutch, could be hydraulic, disk that has come apart, pressure plate problem, frozen pilot bearing, etc.

with the truck parked on a slant, engine off, it rolls when the clutch pedal is pushed.

With the engine off, clutch pushed, can you shift, does the shifter "pattern" feel correct. When isn't it shifting correctly? If you start the motor in neutral, can you shift first and take off, can't shift any gears, some work, others don't, etc?

with the engine off and cluth pushed you can shift no problem. Once the engine is started it is very difficult almost impossible to shift into 1st, 2nd and reverse, it is less difficult to shift into the rest.

with the engine off and cluth pushed you can shift no problem. Once the engine is started it is very difficult almost impossible to shift into 1st, 2nd and reverse, it is less difficult to shift into the rest.

That sounds like the clutch not fully disengaging, dragging. If you start it in gear, with the clutch fully depressed, how does the clutch "feel"? Does the rig start to move with little clutch movement or about the normal amount, same as before? In other words, where is the clutch release point, close to the floor or same as always?

slave cylinder moves about 1 inch when clutch is depressed,

Under load, still attached to the truck? Or free, removed from the bellhousing?

Tryed bleeding the system by hand, seemed to work but then problem came back within minutes. Replaced slave cylinder anyway and vacuum bled system. Still cant shift. Removed shifter, and found that the seat was destroyed, but the little plastic bushing is fine.

Can the destoyed seat cause this problem? And any other ideas before i have to remove the tranny?

Thanks in advance!!

"Tryed bleeding the system by hand, seemed to work but then problem came back within minutes."

That sounds like a pressure issue. Like a seal blew or is going...

In my experience the seat didn't effect shifting, the bushing did a little but it was mainly in the play. I definitely couldn't miss a gear. Anywhere but straight in the gate and it would grind.

when i start the truck in gear it tryes to move a tiny bit, never did that before. but it will not take off on. Clutch engagement point is not the same, it pretty much engages as soon as you let off the pedal

slave cylinder moves about an inch still attached to the truck. and does not lose its pressure

Sounds like it's just not disengaging enough... Try adjusting the rod under the dash that goes into the master cylinder... You'll want to loosen the lock nut and turn the rod so it moves forward more.

Agree, when under the dash, inspect the inside end of the clutch master cylinder for leaks. Adjustment can change, but is usually gradual. Sudden change is usually something hydraulic, but your reporting no significant fluid loss, it could be the master, but they usually leak when failed?

If not that leaves mechanical failure. Unfortunately most of the parts that would cause this are in the bell housing, so require removing the trans, clutch job. How old is the clutch?

i replaced the master cyclinder and when i did it i adjusted the rod so there was no play in the pedal. Im not sure how old the clutch is.

OK, clutch master and slave are operating correctly and freeplay on mechanical linkage is correct but engine torque is still going into the trans when the clutch is disengaged, right? So that means either the pressure plate springs/guts failed or the pilot bearing is seizing up. Both will allow torque to go into the trans and make shifting very difficult. Sounds like its time to plan a clutch job but replace the shifter seat first just to eliminate it as a variable.

Me wonders if the bushings in one of those bushing clutch discs has exploded and jammed the clutch up to the PP inside...

Was driving then all of a sudden couldnt shift into any gears.

And you've changed out anything else that's logical...

Hey i just went through all that with my 1993 t100 and come to find out it was just the clutch pedal bracket. It cracks and causes u not to be able to shift because if flex's to much and u don't get the full pump of the master cylinder. I didn t know if u already knew about this but i figured i d save you the hassel of new master cylinder and slave cylinder because thats whay i did and still got nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom