Need Help! - Can't get FJ40 trans in gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After sitting in storage for 2 years my wife and I installed a Weber 32/36 on our '78 FJ40, aka the "Green Latrine", 105K original miles. Plagued by a history of carburetor issues with the stock Aisan it was nothing short of wonderful when the 2F fired up and idled smoother than ever before. Equally pleasing was the nice throttle response it appears to have sitting in the driveway. A few adjustments and we were ready to take it for a test drive. But no, it would not go into gear. That is, unless you shut it off and then be sure the garage door isn't too close when you turn the key. Suspecting the clutch master/slave might be low on fluid or not operating I got underneath while she worked the pedal. Slave cylinder and attached linkage move easily. So this is where we are now. Haven't taken the access cover to the flywheel off yet but in the meantime - any ideas? I'm really hoping not to have to drop the trans.

If the slave cylinder moves the clutch fork as it should when the clutch pedal is depressed, then the clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel.

This is not uncommon for trucks that have sat for a few years.

You will need to try and get the disc free of the flywheel. This can be done a couple ways.

Chock the wheels so that the truck will not roll over you. Disconnect the battery. Remove the flywheel housing dust shield located on the lower part of the flywheel housing. Have someone depress the clutch pedal and watch the pressure plate move away from the clutch disc and stop clamping the disc to the flywheel. When it is in this position, use a larger flat-tipped screwdriver to try and pry the disc free from the flywheel housing. You may need to rotate the engine and repeat this a few times until it is free, which provided the transmission is in neutral, should not be that difficult to do from under the car; just grab the flywheel and turn the engine.

If it were me, this is how I would proceed:

Put the transfer case in low range, put the transmission in first gear, make sure you are not going to run into anything and have a clear area to operate the truck for a bit, start the truck and drive it. Depress the clutch pedal while it is moving and see if the disc has come free from the flywheel. If not, accelerate and decelerate using the engine to compression brake a few times and then check to see if the clutch is working properly. If not, repeat this procedure.

Remember, if you have to stop, try and get the truck into neutral or shut the engine off and lean on the brake pedal, if the clutch is not functioning properly. Be safe and keep control of the vehicle and your wits, and you will be fine.

Good luck!

-Steve

Hi Guys, thanks fior the replies. CruisinMT - Yes, with engine off the shifter will move freely from gear to gear. Poser/Steve - Interestingly enough my wife asked if it were possible for the clutch to stick to the flywheel. Affirmative, I will remove the cover and check it. I did start it in gear and drive it around the block a time or two hoping that was the problem and that it would release but not in the manner you described with T-case in low gear. Looking forward to trying that if it is in fact stuck as I expect to find.

Thanks Guys, I'll let you know what I find.
Tom & Trish

Permission to hijack this thread please....

I have a similar problem that's been a real headscratcher for me. I drive the cruiser home, it's working perfectly, pull up in the driveway, throw it in neutral, set the parking brake and get out to open the garage door while it sits idling. I jump back in to pull it in, push in the clutch and go to put it in gear but no go. It's acting as if the clutch isn't disengaging but the clutch feels just fine. I even kill the motor, put it in gear, and try and start it with the clutch in and of course the starter pulls it across the driveway. A few days later I pull the clutch cover and have my daughter push in the clutch. It works great, the pressure plate is releasing the disk and you can actually wiggle the disk a little which tells me it's not stuck to the flywheel. Any thoughts?

I have had this problem before. I just drive the rig a few miles and accelerate and decelerate a few times after it is warmed up. Do it by jamming the gas pedal to the floor and releasing it fast. Don't over rev. Make sure you are away from obstacles as well.
It should break free by doing this. I used to do this when I would get an old MG that sat for years and years. My 4Runner clutch was the same way and after a little running, by the time I got around the block, all was well.
Hope this works.
danny

Permission to hijack this thread please....

I have a similar problem that's been a real headscratcher for me. I drive the cruiser home, it's working perfectly, pull up in the driveway, throw it in neutral, set the parking brake and get out to open the garage door while it sits idling. I jump back in to pull it in, push in the clutch and go to put it in gear but no go. It's acting as if the clutch isn't disengaging but the clutch feels just fine. I even kill the motor, put it in gear, and try and start it with the clutch in and of course the starter pulls it across the driveway. A few days later I pull the clutch cover and have my daughter push in the clutch. It works great, the pressure plate is releasing the disk and you can actually wiggle the disk a little which tells me it's not stuck to the flywheel. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the master isn't good. Bleeding off the pressure. look for leaks(wet spots) at the master and the slave.
Pull the rubber seal back a bit at the slave and see if it is wet in there. look under the dash at the master where it meets the pedal arm. See if it is leaking/wet there. If you see any leaks, replace item and bleed the system.

toyrunner: Thanks for the reply, the master is great. In fact both and slave and master are less than a year old. The clutch feels great and it appears to be releasing the disk completely. I like the idea of trying to break it free as described versus tearing apart the rig. Here's a thought: What if the pilot bearing seized onto the input shaft? It seems that might keep the input shaft spinning regardless of the clutch being disengaged or not.

toyrunner: Thanks for the reply, the master is great. In fact both and slave and master are less than a year old. The clutch feels great and it appears to be releasing the disk completely. I like the idea of trying to break it free as described versus tearing apart the rig. Here's a thought: What if the pilot bearing seized onto the input shaft? It seems that might keep the input shaft spinning regardless of the clutch being disengaged or not.

Good god it'd have to be seized on there HARD for you to be able to drive the truck with it like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom