Need HELP, ASAP!! Truck won't start!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What can I do? When I turn the ignition it just runs. It IS NOT turning over. It did it today when I was coming home from work, but then it turned over and started. I ran to the gym and when I got in to leave, it wouldn't start. When I turn the key to start it just runs (I can't explain it, but it doesn't turn over). After awhile, it started after I tried and waited a few times. I need the truck for transportation. Please Help!!!!

What do you mean by "it just runs"?

Do you mean you don't hear the starter crank?

Or do you mean, you turn the ignition switch to ON and then the starter starts to crank?

I agree, we need a bone here. Clarity is important.

When the truck is running, is the starter still trying to grind or it just won't turn over?

If the former, your contacts are shot and must be replaced. Do a search on starters and find loads of info on this one!

Good luck!

Sorry, guys! When I turn the ignition it turns like it is going to crank but it doesn't turn over. When the truck is on, it runs fine. I have a 1996 Land Cruiser. I hope this helps. What kind of money am I looking at here? This is really happening at a bad time!

Normally when you turn the ignition key to start, a gear in the starter slides out and meshes with teeth on the engine (flywheel). The starter motor can then turn the engine. When you let go a spring pulls the gear away from the engine and the starter motor stops. Does it sound like the starter is turning but not connecting with the engine?

It's fairly easy and cheap to replace parts in these starters, like most of these trucks, if you have basic tools and skills.

kino1161 said:
When I turn the ignition it turns like it is going to crank but it doesn't turn over.

That just doesn't make any sense...can you be a little more descriptive?

Is the starter engaging?
Does the engine actually start?
Is what you're saying that the starter cranks the engine, but the engine just doesn't start?

Sorry, but English is my first language... :doh:

If kino turned the key and nothing happened, he'd say "nothing happened". Since something turned I'll guess the starter turned. Since something also doesn't turn ("turn over") I'll guess the engine isn't turning. Hey this is fun. Failing solenoids are common and act like that, so that's my guess. If it happens again, try hitting the starter with a broomstick or similar object while it's cranking. I'm not an expert on fixing, but I've had to do this to a few cars of mine.

kino- Year and mileage in your sig. line would be helpful too.

Starter contacts can get worn out as early as 60k or last as long as 150k. If you're somewhere in between, at worst consider it PM, at best it quite well may be your problem. New contacts kit and plunger are around $40 from C-dan the man and about a two hour job.

If it's your starter locking up, that can lead to bigger problems. Run a search on "starter contacts" for more info. and see if any of the symptoms match up with what you are having.

:beer:
Rookie2

>> turns like it is going to crank but it doesn't turn over <<

WTF... isn't this the same thing?

I think Scott has the magic decoder ring. The starter is maybe spinning but not engaging the flywheel.

Man, it's like a code :rolleyes: I'm heading over to chit chat...

Last edited:
Kino

Here's the standard terminology in the auto industry in my world:

Cranking = starter turning engine over and over, and engine usually begins running on its own in a few seconds, allowing you to let go of the key.

Engine running = engine is operating on its own and available to drive the vehicle off.

If you are not able to crank the engine over, say so. If your engine is cranking over, but will not begin to run on its own, say so. If something weird is happening that is totally out of the ordinary, please say so and explain it. Such as "the starter seems to spin without cranking the engine over". That would be weird but we know what that is also.

DougM

Sounds to me that Kino is saying that the starter is cranking -- turning the engine over and over, but the engine is not running on it's own.

My first guess would've been EFI fuse, but if that was the case, you wouldn't have gotten it to start at all. Maybe a frayed wire somewhere that's grounding out, but not blowing a fuse? Sounds like you're not getting fuel to the cylinders properly.

Stuck starter would be something totally different -- I experienced that one myself. In that case, I wasn't able to get the engine to shut off.

This is pretty funny. First the solenoid needs to be working since it is that operation that makes the connection to supply voltage to the starter motor to get it to move.

If I had to guess I would think that maybe the starter is hanging loosly by a thread and is either making or not making the flex plate.

but then again have you tried amodium ad?

OK... Let me try this again. :) SCOTTM, I think you are on the money! When I turn the key it is as if the starter is turning but not connecting to the engine. The engine is doing nothing. ROOKIE2, I have a 1996 with 134000 on the clock.

My final guesses: 1- Since you came here, you're a cheapskate like us and would rather not spend up to $1000 having a dealer put a new starter in there. 2- you don't work on engines much.

Cheapest place to get the parts has already been mentioned, Cruiserdan, a member of this list. You can send him a private message by going to Members List (above) and doing the search for Cruiserdan. Or someone has his phone #. While waiting for those parts, go to http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_starter_rebuild.htm and print those instructions. Seek out someone sympathetic with average to above car repair skills and tools, show these detailed instructions to them, offer to pay $100 for this two-hour job. You might even get an independent car shop to do it for not much more $. Good luck, and hope it starts this morning.

Kino, not to confuse you and necessarily disagree with everyone, but it sounds as if your starter contacts are working just fine. But the gear head assembly that engages the flywheel does not sound like it is working properly. Both problems will require you to remove the starter and disassemble it to some degree so it may be prudent to just replace the contacts and plunger. I experienced this same problem in my 1997 with around 100K miles. I took the starter apart and did the contacts and plunger and the starter worked great - spun like crazy - but the thing never engaged the flywheel. Pulled the starter apart again and inspected the gear head assembly. It was very stiff and dry. IIRC, I was told you could not replace those parts - at least not through Toyota. So the option was to go get a rebuilt unit. I ended up soaking the gearhead overnight in part cleaner then letting it soak another couple of days in light gear oil. Once I put it back together it has worked "nearly" flawlessly. Maybe a dozen times in the last 8 months it would do the spinner thing, I'd lay off the key, then it would work fine. Still it's one of those things that bothers me but at least I know what's wrong and am willing to suffer the consequences. Sorry to ramble on but my intent was to say maybe you're better off considering a good rebuilt starter rather than fussing with the one you have. Good luck.
Mike R.

Thanks, everyone for your help. Sorry, for confusing you all also. I will be contacting "Dan" for contacts and plunger! :)

It is not the contacts and plunger, it is the one way clutch in the starter, if you are not going to do what Clownmidget reccommends then I would jsut pop for a rebuilt starter from toyota. Dan can still help you with this, but if you need this vechicle then going down to the local dealer and getting a rebuilt starter is the quicker way to go. other wise if CM trick does not work for you, you will be behind the curve for the parts with a truck down. later robbie

I'm with Mike on this. Considering the experience level, the need to get this back on the road asap and the fact that it's not just the contacts, I'd go find a rebuilt starter.

just my .02

A rebuilt starter at a dealer will run you about $300. Labor at that same dealer will set you back another $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom