1996 FZJ80 Bought, Work in progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Buy for sure, unless the motor knocks or the trans won't shift. If you can get below $3K it's a total score, and even at asking price it's a good deal. What rims are those?

Here is a better view of that helps

IMG_20200608_131600.jpg

Its been neglected and probably needs a lot of maintenance. Let alone needs to be trailered back and worked on before even seeing the road.

Negotiate.

Show the seller 2k cash. If they don't like it pull a few hundred more out of your other pocket

But buy it

The owner is a younger girl in her 20s, who has owned it for 3 years. She is going to send me some invoices of work shes had done (probably the starter and the front axel- but has told me there is no overheating or shifting problems. She said the engine runs great - I thought the fluids all looked very clean and healthy. I can't tell where the oil is leaking from yet though. Tough thing is if i need to fix that brake to test drive it, i would have to take her word for it - which i do know her personally so I don't think she would be lying. I might be able to talk her down the cost of the brake fix - I do pads all the time, but have never changed calipers or rotors.

Its been neglected and probably needs a lot of maintenance. Let alone needs to be trailered back and worked on before even seeing the road.

Negotiate.

Show the seller 2k cash. If they don't like it pull a few hundred more out of your other pocket

But buy it
Thanks ill try that!

The owner is a younger girl in her 20s, who has owned it for 3 years. She is going to send me some invoices of work shes had done (probably the starter and the front axel- but has told me there is no overheating or shifting problems. She said the engine runs great - I thought the fluids all looked very clean and healthy. I can't tell where the oil is leaking from yet though. Tough thing is if i need to fix that brake to test drive it, i would have to take her word for it - which i do know her personally so I don't think she would be lying. I might be able to talk her down the cost of the brake fix - I do pads all the time, but have never changed calipers or rotors.

These aren't the easiest vehicles to bleed brake systems on and if the rust is like mine you might need hard lines replaced and possibly also a master cylinder, rotors etc

Is she cute? You can say "I can't test drive it and need to tow it. 2200/2400 and I'll take you out" Either way talk her down.

Front rotors on these are NOT like other cars. They are more like 1T trucks with inboard rotors (meaning you must disassemble the front hubs).

That's a REAR rotor in the pic and they are like other cars (outboard) and easy to replace. Do them in pairs.

so it sounds like its 3000 or not, looking at her invoices she spent at least that amount on maintenance over the years.

Catalytic Converter amongst other things.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Even if her story is bs she probably does get a lot of interest about it

Yes I'd buy it for 3k but see if she'll take 2800 so you can afford to rent a trailer. If not then I agree with the others, still a buy

Interesting that the shop only installed a new y-pipe and cat, and removed the second cat (not up to correct standards) and charged her $45 for shipping when they got it from O'Reilly's or the like for no shipping and delivered free at their place of business.

So, it only has one cat instead of two, if that's important to you. May cause you to have regular O2 sensor codes thrown.

Buy it anyway. Throw money at it or post a link here. I'm estimating another $5K should get you DD worthy.

^^^This^^^. I would not quibble about a couple hundred dollars, unless you hate the color drive over there right now with the $3000 cash. You're essentially getting it for free when looking at what she's put into it.

Only thing I could see is that the rear brake caliper and inside of the wheel appear wet (?brake fluid, ruptured flexible brake line)

Needs a good cleaning/detailing inside and out, and you should be able to find a set of original wheels without too much trouble.

Last edited:
Have you bought it yet?

Have you bought it yet?
Not yet, she is out of town so we are basically working on doing this virtually..I have access to the vehicle now and we can make a bill of sale etc, she has to put an app in for a replacement title. I think I can theoretically take it with the bill of sale now on the condition she transfers the title though.

Unless it has rust issues (the pics appear fine) or the motor is entirely toast, buy it. Just keep in mind you’ll need some funds set aside to get it reliable. Worst case you’ll find buyers readily available to take it off your hands. Looks like a fun project.

Not yet, she is out of town so we are basically working on doing this virtually..I have access to the vehicle now and we can make a bill of sale etc, she has to put an app in for a replacement title. I think I can theoretically take it with the bill of sale now on the condition she transfers the title though.
If she is out of state, be careful. You may have a difficult time if it turns out she cannot produce a title.

So I want to say theres no reason for her to lose the title and it seems kinda fishy. Also weird that she'd have all that maintenance done but then let the brakes get so bad

I would NOT buy it without a title. Could have a lien, could have difficulty getting it out of someone else's name, could be an outright scam, Yellowstone could erupt while waiting the weeks/months for DMV to send it, etc

I'd see if she'd write a contract in person for 100 down and the rest when she has the title, in her name, with no liens

Alternatively you could buy it for 1500 and a bill of sale, with another 1500 at a later date if she can provide the title. I would check the vin with dmv for liens before doing this

Its worth that in parts easily and worth that as an off road rig. Could recover the cost if no title.

Just an idea. Curious what others think about doing this

So I want to say theres no reason for her to lose the title and it seems kinda fishy. Also weird that she'd have all that maintenance done but then let the brakes get so bad

I would NOT buy it without a title. Could have a lien, could have difficulty getting it out of someone else's name, could be an outright scam, Yellowstone could erupt while waiting the weeks/months for DMV to send it, etc

I'd see if she'd write a contract in person for 100 down and the rest when she has the title, in her name, with no liens
She is blonde 🤣...but I will be cautious - the brake thing is weird, she is moving from my town to another town and has been between and seems scattered. Ill try to go for the bill of sale with half and then the rest with the title. She did say the title was clean, I do believe her since I know her personally - regardless ill look it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom