Need front driveshaft advice after SM420 install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello All

It's been ages since I've even looked at my poor Cruiser sitting over on the side of the house. But now that school is nearly done for me, I've found the time again to turn wrenches.

Shortly before parking my favorite toy for three years, I installed an SM420 transmission in my rig (1972 FJ40 - F Engine). I had the front driveshaft re-tubed by a guy whose name I can't remember anymore, but I can tell you he did a fantastic job. The only thing is that now the splines are visible when the truck is at rest on flat ground, and the two halves of the shaft separate at akward times on the trail while the front axle flexes.

So I vaguely recall some of my friends telling me it is possible to get a longer slip yoke off another vehicle that fits the bolt pattern of the flange, and fits the splines of my existing hardware.

I can't remember what I had for lunch today, much less any useful advice I got three years ago. So I want to try again. Anybody here have any ideas for me?

Thanks!

Kelly

There are many options with the small bolt pattern flange in early cruisers and 1310 u joints they are very close fit. easiest is have it retubed longer like pinhead said you shouldnt need long slip without shackle reversal or hella alot of flex

Thanks. I was trying to avoid a retube, but maybe that's the best option.

Suggestions on anyone that does a heavy-duty DS retube that can bounce off rocks that I'm not skilled enough to avoid?

They should be able to just add some lenght with minimal cost. I think mine was like $75.

Get it retubed to the proper length.

x2, but

TOYOTA DRIVE LINE SPACERS 1.0 INCH & 1.5 INCH - Longfield Super Axles

toy_driveline_spacers_lg__63221_thumb.jpg

Retube - or regret

Not sure where you're located, but Jesse at High Angle Driveline (Norcal) did a very nice job on mine.

Not to hijack the thread, but my front driveshaft is solid steel, was that ever a Toyota flavor or did something else get put in? Hard to retube that and I have the same issue KellyC does.

Hello All

It's been ages since I've even looked at my poor Cruiser sitting over on the side of the house. But now that school is nearly done for me, I've found the time again to turn wrenches.

Shortly before parking my favorite toy for three years, I installed an SM420 transmission in my rig (1972 FJ40 - F Engine). I had the front driveshaft re-tubed by a guy whose name I can't remember anymore, but I can tell you he did a fantastic job. The only thing is that now the splines are visible when the truck is at rest on flat ground, and the two halves of the shaft separate at akward times on the trail while the front axle flexes.

So I vaguely recall some of my friends telling me it is possible to get a longer slip yoke off another vehicle that fits the bolt pattern of the flange, and fits the splines of my existing hardware.

I can't remember what I had for lunch today, much less any useful advice I got three years ago. So I want to try again. Anybody here have any ideas for me?

Thanks!

Kelly

Pull the drive shaft off and stop out Kelly...

:beer:

Thanks Steve. I'm getting new rubber under that truck this weekend. Maybe I'll just bring the whole truck. It hasn't been driven in a very long time, and I need an excuse to go somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom