need fan belt help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DSRTRDR

I can mangle anything ...
SILVER Star
Threads
desmogged A/C-less P/S-less 2F motor (possibly '80) with a 1F alternator on the driver side - belt runs over crank, water pump and alternator - length required is about 41.5" (stock size for a '72 ?)

the Napa replacement belt I got is 17mm (and now squeals despite proper tension and pulley alignment), while the belt that was in the truck is 15mm wide at the outside (and did not squeal; replaced it due to stress cracks from the dry heat) - the old belt also has smaller teeth; I cannot find any markings

anybody have info on 15mm belts :confused:

I buy mine at an industrial bearing and equipment shop. I get a discount from work and they have all the weird sizes. Take your old belt in for comparison, but you know that. Good luck.

Ditto on the industrial bearing shops. After trying several of the auto parts stores, the parts guy at ORiley 's sent me to Purvis Bearing in Waco. Left there with 2 belts at $10 a piece. That's a bargain

I dealt with a similar problem. I don't remember now the new belt numbers. The thing to be really watching close is how deep into the bottom of the pulley the belt rides. The Toy pulleys are designed for wide belts. The bottom of the pulley is fairly wide and doesn't accept the normal wide belts that you will get, that supposedly are for these rigs. The "new" belts ride too deep into the pulley and apply pressure on the bottom of the pulley, leaving inadequate pressure being applied onto the sides of the pulley. Hence you probably have less than 1/4 of the belt applying pressure, and that part of the belt is not designed for applying traction to the pulley.

I ended up ordering a wider belt, no more problems.

Don

The stock 70-74 alt/fan belt is 17mm wide.

Toyota 99323-01060 (17mm x 1060mm)
or
Gates TR22416 (22/32"x 41.6")
or
Gates TR22420 (22/32x 42")

I dealt with a similar problem. I don't remember now the new belt numbers. The thing to be really watching close is how deep into the bottom of the pulley the belt rides. The Toy pulleys are designed for wide belts. The bottom of the pulley is fairly wide and doesn't accept the normal wide belts that you will get, that supposedly are for these rigs. The "new" belts ride too deep into the pulley and apply pressure on the bottom of the pulley, leaving inadequate pressure being applied onto the sides of the pulley. Hence you probably have less than 1/4 of the belt applying pressure, and that part of the belt is not designed for applying traction to the pulley.

I ended up ordering a wider belt, no more problems.

Don

thanks Jim, I put the TR22416 in when the new water pump went in - that's the squealing belt; plus, the ammeter needle bounces in rhythm with the sound (in idle)

I understand how the belt works, but it seems that I had less problems with the 15mm belt that I found in the truck - that's why I am confused

The stock 70-74 alt/fan belt is 17mm wide.

Toyota 99323-01060 (17mm x 1060mm)
or
Gates TR22416 (22/32"x 41.6")
or
Gates TR22420 (22/32x 42")

Dimensions for a 76-78 belt sizes reference for me - if it’s the same as 70-74 which might not be the case. Hoping for some direction/clarification because of all the threads that speak to it go all over the place with thoughts.

Also vendors I’m not aware of, if u know of any / part numbers (the one in this past thread is no longer available and the worst thing is when I contacted Mr Toyota parts they acting like I had 4 options none of which had dimensions on their program, making me blind with decision. So rather than wasting and buying all - looking through and reading all the belt threads there isn’t a complete consensus. Help! Hehe —- thanks a mil❕❗

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom