Need exhaust manifold for '87 fj-60 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace my exhaust manifold and am having trouble finding a replacement. Dealer discont. and spectre doesn't appear to have any in stock. Any recommendations?

Place ad in wanted section, here on MUD or call/email -- cruiserparts.net

Exhaust/intake manifold is STILL avail, but only as the combo - not separately - and North of $700

Or use a header, if you can, and you're not in a Smog Nazi State...

I see them around for 50 bux or so... (but never when you need one!)

I went through this and just bought the new combo. The old ones cost significant $$ to rehab and it was just easier to toss the whole thing and get all new manifolds. A header alone is close to $400 and the combo manifold was just over $600. So not hugely different.

Good luck.

I've got one

I believe I've got one left over from my Desmog....

Free - plus shipping....

I'm in NH right now, let me check when I get home on Wednesday....

That sounds great, thanks! How tough was it to pull the old one off? I'm afraid of rusted bolts snapping and causing bigger problems...any recommendations?

i will look to see if mine is complete, it had very little mileage on it. $75.00 + shipping. i also have a brand new down pipe $75.00 for that if you need it.

After doing some research it looks like I may only need a gasket/rings. I'm bringing it back from the shop tomorrow and start nosing around myself. TOYOTADRUNK - Thanks for the great offer. I'll take a closer look and let you know if I need the manifold.

New Toyota OEM manifold set from Cruiser Dan. Part #17100-61084 $571.21 plus shipping. Only thing that you need is gaskets and a little hex head plug off of your old manifold. New heat riser, straight. About an equal cost to a quality header.

I went through this and just bought the new combo. The old ones cost significant $$ to rehab and it was just easier to toss the whole thing and get all new manifolds. A header alone is close to $400 and the combo manifold was just over $600. So not hugely different.

Good luck.

Hey Drew,
Whats involved in rehabing the old ones?

What did you find that made you just toss the old one?
I'm getting ready to do a valve job and I want to know what to look for when I pull it out. $600 is big $$$!!!
bryan

It ends up getting spendy if you have it surfaced ($100 +), buy new rings for the horns ($70), new gasket and insulator between the manifolds ($100), and you'll probably want it media blasted and cleaned to get it nice and shiny. (mo' money)

That's assuming the butterfly valve is functioning and no holes are stripped, which adds mo' money for helicoils, etc...

I ended up spending close to $400 on mine, 'cuz I didn't know the combos were available at the time, or I just would have bought new. Granted, mine is like new, now, for a couple hundred less, but new is nice.

It ends up getting spendy if you have it surfaced ($100 +), buy new rings for the horns ($70), new gasket and insulator between the manifolds ($100), and you'll probably want it media blasted and cleaned to get it nice and shiny. (mo' money)

That's assuming the butterfly valve is functioning and no holes are stripped, which adds mo' money for helicoils, etc...

I ended up spending close to $400 on mine, 'cuz I didn't know the combos were available at the time, or I just would have bought new. Granted, mine is like new, now, for a couple hundred less, but new is nice.

Thanks SS.

Good luck.

I must have called ten machine shops, and not one shop would even consider doing the "rehab" job! They all claimed that the intake and exhaust is one piece and it makes it harder, and when you remove the two pieces they never seal properly again. Mine manifold still leaks:frown::frown:

Zack

They guy who did mine does MAF's machine work - he used the orange Permatex Hi-temp RTV with new gaskets. And that's B.S. about taking 'em apart -- But the bolts are sometimes corroded in there tight, and can result in stripped threads when removing. That's why they don't want to do it.

Martin Davidson Automotive in Reseda, CA - He accepts shipped items.

Last edited:
Not to bash the 2F too badly, but the more a read about it the more I want a SBC!

Turns out the "indestructible manifold" may very well be just that. The mechanic I spoke with was relaying a message from another mechanic and got it messed up...pricey miss-communication! Fortunately I didn't already pay-up. I'm going to replace the EM gasket and maybe the rings where it comes apart. That should quiet it down.
New question...I'm considering a suspension lift. Anyone know how SOR's lift kit compares to man-a-fre? I'm think either 3 or 4 inch. I'll have 31 x 10.5's on it until I prune the money tree in the spring...
-Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom