Need conversion advice 350 auto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 76 FJ40 4" downey lift,reverse shackle,saginaw steering, etc. I started this project backwards by making it purdy and didn't have the drivetrain the way I wanted. I have a good 350 chev motor and th350 trans out of a 79 blazer. the questions I have are who's adaptors are the best, and what all do I need to complete the project. Money really isnt a factor within reason. I just want to do it right the first time. I wish I could find someone to do it since my time is so limited. But I do have the tools and shop for the project and would like anyones advice on the project, from aluminum radators to drive lines,etc

Try the search function on the top right of the page. You could spend months reading answers to all the questions you just asked.

This is a great resource.

motor mounts, depending on the tcase you plan on using, a tcase adapter and rear mounts, driveshafts, shifter, cooler for the auto trans....

Good luck

IMO, AA suck for their mounts, but their tranny-to-case adapters are good. I made all custom for my 350 TBI, 700R, D300 install (search D300 in the hardcore corner for pics)

There is someone making an awesome over-frame-rail mount for the 350 install in a FJ40....someone will recall it....pricey, but very very nice.

Bob Firestine........
Follow our method on the rear Xmember

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356837&highlight=firestine <http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356837&highlight=firestine>
step3-mocked up pass front motor mount.jpg

landcruiser97pete said:
thanks Woody, I've emailed Bob Firestine... they look like a much better option than aa

Thanks Woody?
that dumba$$ said some guy..... :confused:

Ben LC Mounts

I am looking for a set of over the frame SBC motor mounts. I have AA that I have decided not to use.

Any Help???

Thanks,

(1) I see no way a Sag conversion shaft will clear those motor mounts.
(2) 97pete, I have a used TH350 adapter at a reduced price- - -lemme know.
(3) 97pete, I have an upgraded transfer-case crossmember rear motor mount at a reduced price- - -lemme know.
(4) 97pete, you need a freebie copy of my Downey V8 installation instruction manual- - -lemme know.

It does on most.....however there are too many variables......for instance, whether the shaft was cut. Up next to column or if it were left long......likewise on the lower end, is the box mounted rear as far as possible? Is the u joint right at the box or is there a spud shaft?
Also where is the engine mounted? Against the firewall or way forward??
Understand?

Yep, no problems here with Sag steering and Firestein/Bier motor mounts.

Split the steering shaft and support it mid-way with a pillow block, carrier bearing, etc. It adds a U-joint to the shaft, but can help you clear the mount by eliminating the need for a straight shot from the column to the steering box. (And why is it a 'box', were they square once? Just asking. )

Last edited:
It does on most.....however there are too many variables......for instance, whether the shaft was cut. Up next to column or if it were left long......likewise on the lower end, is the box mounted rear as far as possible? Is the u joint right at the box or is there a spud shaft?
Also where is the engine mounted? Against the firewall or way forward??
Understand?
Yeah, I think I need to shift some stuff around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom