need comp cut and WB stretch pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am working on the planning of my fj40 to fj80 chassis project and am working to keep the fj80 chassis stock at 112" WB. I want to keep the fj40 tub capable of fitting a stock top so I dont want to stretch the tub. i would like to see pics of any one with anywhere close to this wheel base with info on how far they moved the front and rear axles. I am trying to get a feel for how many inches should be taken up in the front vs rear.

Thanks in advance. I have looked through about every thread I can find on comp cut and stretched wheel base but not much info out there that show a nice comp cut and give the amount stretched front and rear.

Did you look in the "hardcore" section?

If you dont want to shorten the 80 frame Id start by test fitting the fourty tub onto it and centering the rear wheel well over the rear wheel. You could then move it forward bit by bit till you get what youre after. I know that after pushing my front axle forward 5" and the rear back 3" Im only at 98" (stock was 90") for wb so that 112" sounds like a lot. Youre gonna end up with the front axle sitting centered w the bezel and the rear sticking out way beyond the rear wheel well. May have to delete the wheel well all together and just have a small cut out at the back of the tub for the front of the wheel?

Just for reference heres a pic of mine. Not a huge fan of comp cuts by any means btw.

Dont have a great profile shot but at least youll get an idea. 14 more inches would be interesting to say the least..... What about stretching the cargo area by adding inches between the rear door pillar and wheel well? With the factory length top youd end up with an avalanche lookin mini box..

D

Thank you for the response, that is why in trying to find pics of this scenario because if I have to shorten the fj80 chassis it will change a lot of the planning because it messes up the fj80 gas tank, drive shafts, etc..

Flipped the front springs and moved the rear axle back several inches (about 12 I think). I didn't want a comp cut though, wanted to keep the same FJ40 wheel wells and look. This is what I ended up with.

My over built mall cruiser.
Flipped front springs, FJ55 rear springs, cut the wheel wells to mimic the factory opening, in total the WB was stretched 5".
oregano 258 (Medium).jpg
oregano 259 (Medium).jpg

not my cup of tea, but here's a 40 on an 80 frame/powertrain. it works but looks funky. don't remember his user name, but hit the horsetooth guys up for more info on franks rig.
DSC04585.jpg

What is your wheelbase and how far did you stretch front vs. back?

The wb is 104". I'm not sure on how much front to back was stretched, to be honest. I'm running mini truck rear springs on the front and xj springs in the back.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using IH8MUD app.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom