Need Catalytic Converter Help. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
mvagusta.net
Hey all,
I went to Midas for a rattle under my '99 LC and was told that my catalytic converter needed to be replaced. He quoted me a $1000+ to fix it. My question is are there any aftermarket cats available for the 100 series? Is it a good idea to try to locate used? Thanks in advance for your input.

Oh yeah, it's throwing codes too.

P.S. Check your exhaust as well as cat shields. My exhaust had rusted through, and that was the first to go, not my cats.

X2 on shields and O2 sensor.
I have been looking at Walker replacement for my Cats, as my heat shields are in bad shape, and the pipes are really rusty. Love that WI salt..

275.00 ea side (rockauto.com) for a direct replacement is the best I've found, but wondering about the quality. such a big price difference from the OEM.

I'd get a second opinion. Very few cat problems have been seen on the board and it's a real expensive part.

Go to a autozone or other parts store and get the code pulled so we can tell you what the official service manuals say.

Mileage ?

Last edited:
X2 on shields and O2 sensor.
I have been looking at Walker replacement for my Cats, as my heat shields are in bad shape, and the pipes are really rusty. Love that WI salt..

275.00 ea side (rockauto.com) for a direct replacement is the best I've found, but wondering about the quality. such a big price difference from the OEM.

pretty much anything aftermarket is going to be a big difference...

I owned an exhaust/repair shop for 4yrs... walker and most aftermarket parts are up to par... they do have to meet required standards... that being said they typically wont last like original... seems the LC's are made right from the factory... so nothing truly compares once replaced...

cheaper alternative is find a shop that can weld in the correct universal ones...

Thanks guys. It's been awhile and I found out that it's my cats that are in need of replacing. I'm going to try that rockauto.com and see if that works out long term.

My rattle was internal and I had my local muffler shop I send all my dealer work to install two new ones with a "Demo" (free) Bully Dog muffler and I can't be happier. It's been 3 months and my fuel mileage has greatly increased, sound is beyond bitchen and at cruise in not driving me insane, I love it!

I know your thinking "BULLY DOG" Ya, I know.....But he made is clear to me, if I was unhappy he would replace it with my choice, so I did it.

It was cheap as I use this shop weekly for work, but shop around as it's slow enough to drive a bargain.

Best,

Shane

Shane, what shop do/did you use? Cost? I'm having the same issue. Checked the heat shields, it's definitely internal.

thanks
john

My rattle was internal and I had my local muffler shop I send all my dealer work to install two new ones with a "Demo" (free) Bully Dog muffler and I can't be happier. It's been 3 months and my fuel mileage has greatly increased, sound is beyond *****en and at cruise in not driving me insane, I love it!

I know your thinking "BULLY DOG" Ya, I know.....But he made is clear to me, if I was unhappy he would replace it with my choice, so I did it.

It was cheap as I use this shop weekly for work, but shop around as it's slow enough to drive a bargain.

Best,

Shane

Shane, what shop do/did you use? Cost? I'm having the same issue. Checked the heat shields, it's definitely internal.

thanks
john

I will PM you name and number.

Side note, I am about 2 miles away from the shop and if you want to hear mine let me know if you are choosing to replace the exhaust as well.

pretty much anything aftermarket is going to be a big difference...

I owned an exhaust/repair shop for 4yrs... walker and most aftermarket parts are up to par... they do have to meet required standards... that being said they typically wont last like original... seems the LC's are made right from the factory... so nothing truly compares once replaced...

cheaper alternative is find a shop that can weld in the correct universal ones...

I thought all emisions equipment from any manufacturer, OEM or aftermarket are required to be warrantied for 7 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom