Need Bracket for PS Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started my PS conversion and have the box mounted, now I'm having trouble mounting the Pump. Is there a bracket that is commonly used? What side of the engine is best? Does the engine have to have a double pulley set up?

Cajun:

I have a JT Outfitters bracket that has less than 200 miles on it. If your interested, gimmie 80 bucks for it and you cover shipping from 91206 (los angeles). They sell for 125 + tax & shipping.
http://www.jtoutfitters.com/product/PSPIO

It won't work with the stock air cleaner though. And you'll need the double pulley on the waterpump. I had to change all that stuff cuz I had the metal fan with no fan clutch and single pulley.

Add 40 bucks and I'll thow the fan/waterpump and belt seen in the picture....you'll need to provide the pump, and you pay the shipping.

***better check...I think your gonna need the 76ish Alternator bracket as well...seems to me I had to use that because of the placement of the 72 alt is on the drivers side ?
ADD 15 bucks

jeez...took 4 posts to remember all this..by the way there are other ways of doing this, but this worked the best for me. And now I dont need any of it cuz I went with a V8...go figure.

Knuckledragger, I can partially see the alternator on the passenger side. Does the relocation to the passenger side require the '76 bracket? And if so does it bolt right up or does it require mods.

I have a custom built ps bracket that mounts to the passenger side of the motor. I bought it from matthew_m and it works great! Going to do a diesel swap so I need to sell! $45 bucks plus shipping. :cheers:

To put the PS pump on the DS you need to relocate the alternator to the PS one of two ways-snag an alternator bracket off of a 2f, or install a www.kccruisers.com york onboard air bracket for $70 with a 2f alternator (or F alt with 2f alt. pulley) on the PS. The york bracket accomodates the alternator.
I used option 2. I also want to keep my F aircleaner, because it is hard to beat, so I will be using a custom PS pump bracket.

Knuckledragger has the plan, dont forget that you will also need a 2 groove crank pulley. F series 2 groove with big and small groove will work with a saginaw pulley but the belt will be too small for the WP groove. It will still work. I usually replace the saginaw pulley wth a smaller pulley with an OEM size groove and the crank pulley with a 2F dbl pulley that has equal "larger" size grooves.

To keep the stock aircleaner you need to make/buy a mount that will fit on the F motor alt bracket. There is a way to do it with a Tercel pump but I dont have the details.

I bought Bill Dorry's pump bracket, uses the MM bolts, not the head bolts to mount. You really have to mount pump on driver's side because you don't want to run your hydraulic hoses across.
At this stage of the game I'd also figure in a cooler, either transmission or PS to be installed in the return(low pressure) side. It'll give you more fluid capacity and extend the life of your pump.
Ed :)

WDorry@yahoo.com
My engine is a '74 and has the three tapped holes on the pass side of the head to mount the 2F alt bracket. Picked it up from PinHead for $15. Pump is a rebuilt from O'Reilly's $50, Sag pump from a '80 Chevy PU. For ease of install, you want one with the hydraulic lines coming out on the back side.
GL
Ed

Thanks Guys, I have a mayday into Knuckledragger for the parts put I haven't heard back from him.

I thought the double pulley crank was part of the equation. If not then the alternator would drive off of the water pump and I don't think that dog will hunt!

As for the 3 tapped holes on the PS on my '72 F155 they don't exist. I have 2 bolts holding on the engine lifting bracket and the 3 holes for the motor mount. Should I assume one of these locations will support the alternator bracket?

Any idea where I can find the crank pulley?

Try Robert at heartoftexasoffroad.com. He will od\ccaisionally have some used parts and he's fairly close, at least he's in Texas. As for the waterpump pulley, I'm pretty sure you can run a belt from crank to wp to ps and another for crank, wp, alt with no problems. Plus if you lose a belt, you've still got cooling.
GL
Ed

The 2 holes will support the bracket. You could drill and tap the lower hole or tack weld it in place but I am not sure if there is a need. Any 2F dbl pulley will work. I bet knuckledragger has one

PM'd you Cajun

I'll have to look at all of this stuff again...its been 3 wks since I have even looked at my cruiser ( I hate buying a new car 2 perfectly good weekends shot to hell and still no new ride ! *@#'n cardealers).

Its all working on my old motor...I think I did have to change the pully on the ALT pulley to a skinny groove and my bottom pully is double (belt goes ..alt to h20 pump to crank and back)

The alt bracket is probably just bloted twice...cant remember though, but its a 76ish.

fan/waterpump assmebly all fit w/o moving the radiator..but I did have to trim the shroud lip about 2" to clear the p/s pully .

I that alt pulley a fat one or a skinny one ? It looks like a fattie to me...I cant remember

Anyone else need any F motor stuff ? or the whole thing ? minus of course the parts that cajun may want.

Cajun...you might want to consider that custom alt bracket for the York air compressor...that would be reallly cool to have.

You got F or 2F stuff. I have lots o F motors but need 2F stuff!

It's an F motor out of my 72 FJ40.

I remembered about the Alt. That one has the fat pully and the orginal that went bad on me is the one that I changed to a skinny. I never really drove this rig much, I bought it and started changing things and have'nt really stopped since. :doh:

Knuckledragger,
I've been off line since yesterday morning, had to run to the deer camp for a quick hunt. Don't let those car salesmen get under your skin, hold your ground!

I gave the york bracket some thought, but you have a better deal.
If I understand you messages right, you have all the components, PS bracket, '76 alt bracket, water pump with double pulley and fan. What about the double crank pulley.

Im going to hang onto the crank pulley in hopes that somebody wants to buy the engine as a hole (not a spelling mistake :) . But all the rest is available, I can take the parts off this weekend and ship them monday or tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom