Need bolts for catalytic converter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Someone tried to steal my cats while my 80 was parked at the Metro train station in Los Angeles. The thief didn't get them, but left me with 3 missing bolts.

Does anyone know what size these bolts are and where can I order some? Anything else besides the bolts (like seals) are needed? I can probably fix this myself. I need to get 100s brake pads from Dan, so maybe I just get the bolts from him.

I called my mechanic and he was closing the shop, but he told me that he had 2 other customers (non-cruisers) this year come in with missing cats. He said I was lucky that the theif didn't take them because they are expensive to replace.
Muffler1.jpg
Muffler2.jpg

Stealing them for the titanium guts?

what would that be worth at the scrap yard?

Stealing them for the titanium guts?

what would that be worth at the scrap yard?
Platinum, palladium, and rhodium... anyway, depending on the brand / size I've heard anywhere from $40-$200.

You have got to be kidding me.:confused:

People are so hard up they will steal cats off vehicles now. WTF is the world coming to. I gotta say that is just beyond anything I can wrap my head around. If somebody was to try and do that to my truck they would end up real pissed when they finally managed to get the bolts off. At least that would give me a chuckle. IH8THIEVES.:mad:

Yup though I would just call Dan and have him send you the bolts. I'm sure he can spout the part number in a nanosecond just like anything else.

Yup the metal theives are getting pretty stupid up here, everything from manhole lids to electrical drops (they take a chop saw and cut the commercial power drops behind malls, cutting a 6 foot chunk of live 4 inch cable :eek:) then wheeling it to the scrap yard in a grociery cart.

I think Dan might be out of the office. Anyone know the dimensions of these bolts? I can probably buy them at the local auto parts store.

Someone said to buy ss bolts, but I'm not sure what sizes to get. I found a diagram but no specs were listed.
CatConverter.jpg

Also, can the thieves remove the metal they are after without removing the cats? I wonder if they got what they wanted and left me with the shell of the cat? Hmmm.

I guess I won't know until my next smog check.

Got the info from Dan. The bolts are 10mm x 35 mm (1.25 threads). I put the bolts on and everything seems okay, but nothing is protecting the cats...might have to get sliders to protect them.

I ordered my 100-series replacement brake pads. The ones in there are 33k miles and still have some wear left. Thanks to Dan for all his help.

Hearing stuff like this sort of makes me want to weld the nuts onto my cat bolts

It won't help - they sawzall the cats out, it takes less than 2 minutes. 80s without running boards or sliders are easy targets since you can spot the silver cats 100 yards out. It probably won't make a difference if I'm targeted, but I painted my cat shields black to keep them in the shadows.

m.

It happened again -- this time while parked in a residential area near the train station. They took 3 bolts and couldn't take out the rusted one out, so they left the cats without 3 bolts.

This time I'm going to get the bolts soldered and I'm going to get the rock sliders with cat protection.

However, I'm still not convinced that the slider's cat protection (either Hanna or MetalTech) protect against a thief who saws the cats off. Can anyone tell me if there's enough room to maneuver a sawz-all when you have either the Hanna or the MetalTech sliders?

I feel that you can't get to the bolts with either of these two sliders on, but the alternative is to cut them and that's what I'm wondering. I might have asked this before, but I don't remember getting an answer.

Any info is appreciated...

Sounds like the poor sorry bastards that are trying to get your cats can't even afford a $70 cordless sawsall from Costco, thank goodness. I would love to walk up and find someone under my rig undoing the nuts on my cats, in fact that would earn him a swift kick in the nuts. I have been trying to convince the :princess: that sliders are good cat insurance, but it seems like they could be slid out once the pipe is cut on either side. Maybe someone with metaltech sliders could verify this.

If you still need bolts pm me, i just replaced mine last week. My co worker got hers cut out of her 4runner during the AM shift in a small parking lot a few months ago. Talk about balls! It had to be in the middle of day with people walking very nearby.

in the news

It was in the news here (utah) the other day about people with cordless saws alls going to long term parking at the airport or the park and rides and just hacking them out, some guy had a 4-runner that lost his...

I was thinking the exact same thing, I'd love an excuse for some sliders w/ cat guards. but would like to know if it it covers them well, I guess you could always weld more on the the guards to make it so they couldn't slide em out...???
:flipoff2: bastards

at least in the news interview they showed some scrap yards that wouldn't take cats without getting drivers license information first...

Can anyone tell me if there's enough room to maneuver a sawz-all when you have either the Hanna or the MetalTech sliders?

In the case of the Metal Tech sliders it would likely be possible to get the cats out after the pipes were hacked but it would probably take more time than most thieves would care to spend.
On the case of my Hanna first-generation sliders on my 93 there is no way those things are comming out of there with the slider in place.

D-

Just an observation ... and not a "professional" opinion ...but I think it is a lot easier - and quicker - to cut the pipes to drop the "cats" than try to unbolt them... last time I removed the two rusted bolts to replace the gasket ... took me a good long time ... with a dremel cut-off wheel

another hot item, ahem, waste fry oil, or yellow grease from the back of restaurants, in Eugene to the north of me they steal over half before it can be picked up, police just recently stopped a guy with a tanker truck full of the stuff in Seattle ......WTF indeed :eek:

I just paid for the Hanna Sliders, so I should have them this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom